• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSI/SSD claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? AR
I wanted to get some opinion on my husbands upcoming hearing for his disability. We recently met with our attorney who told us he has a "better chance than not" at winning. However, I am still worried--it is our future. We filed the first of last year and are awaiting the hearing. Here is the basics of his case: He is a 29 yo male with adult add, depression and severe mood disorder. Additionally, he scored midly retarded on 2 exams, one administered by the state, the other a rehab center where we tried to get him some training. He has had some 30 jobs...he attempts, but is "let go" because he isn't able to catch on and work without having to be reinstructed. I personally have been against people getting on disability who don't need it--I made him continue to try to find jobs, until the day I saw him on a job--struggling, coworkers calling him terrible names and it just broke my heart. Truly in many ways my husband has a child's mind. It was evident in the testing they did. The state continues to deny him based on the fact he did work on farm for a considerable amout of time before moving here when we got married. They say he is fit to return to that line of work. However, the stipulation to his employment on the farm is, that because his father is friends with the men that employed my husband, they continued to give him jobs that he could do and were very undertanding and leinent. Most all employers as we know aren't like that so therefore he has been unsucessful at gainful employment. Now, he sees a psychologist and therapist monthy. Our lawyer said that the reports from them support our claim. My question is, what chance, in any of your experience, do we have of winning this claim?

BL

It's hard to tell. Apparently SSA is Stating there are Jobs he is capable of doing ( as per the Farm work ) .

As long as SSA determines that , he may not be approved .

If however it has been years since he worked on this farm , and the Lawyer can convince SSA that if it weren't for neighborly Friends , he wouldn't be able to hold it , and with any significant changes since then , he might have a chance .

Especially if he had that kind of difficulty in a rehab program .

Sometimes It takes about three tries to get approved also .

Yes I would say it has been at least 2 years since he worked on the farm--that was her biggest concern when we went in for a consult. We were able to get letters from old employers even those farmers who said they employed Jason as a friend to his father and that when unsupervised he could be a harm to himself or others. I have another question, his lawyer said it would be best for people who know how he is NOW, so do I need not his mother who has seen him go through these struggles his whole life to testify on his behalf. She also said my testimony wouldn't be as helpful since I stand to gain financially. What kind of folks would be helpful?

BL

SSA takes into account any work history , jobs available that the applicant could work in , any records on the Applicants abilities .

Most records would come from Dr's., councilors , metal health agencies ,Etc.

They might look at older records that are consistent with records from NOW , but what they would be looking for is if he has the ability to work in any kind of substantial Employment that is available in the USA now or in the near future .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">