• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Too Late for Title Insurance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alrak

What is the name of your state? MICHIGAN

I refinanced my mortgage in November 2004. When I saw "title insurance" listed under the items, I thought it was owner's title insurance, but now I know the mortgage company was covering itself. Duh :( . Is it too late for me to get title insurance now?

BradleyS

The best thing you could do is call the escrow company that closed the refi and ask if you can purchase an additional OWNER POLICY based on the committment that was provided at closing. I don't see why they wouldn't.

nextwife

Did you fail to obtain title insurance when you BOUGHT your place?

First, if you did, the owner's policy coverage still continues, as long as you own the property, regardless of how many new mortgage policies are issued for refis.

Second, no title policy will now protect you for any matters of record still against the property that preceeded your interest, nor against any matters arising from your own actions. Although, it would disclose Easements and restrictions of record, plus any matters still of record.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">