• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Subpoena issued at parents house, does he have to appear?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mikeshoe

What is the name of your state?WASHINGTON STATE

My roommates parents called this morning. A sheriff dropped off a subpoena at his parents house this morning (saturday) for him to appear Monday morning. He has school and work and the appearance is 2+hours away. He lives here in this county and is on the lease. Is he required to appear in the other county?

Does this qualify as being properly served?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

mikeshoe said:
What is the name of your state?WASHINGTON STATE

My roommates parents called this morning. A sheriff dropped off a subpoena at his parents house this morning (saturday) for him to appear Monday morning. He has school and work and the appearance is 2+hours away. He lives here in this county and is on the lease. Is he required to appear in the other county?

Does this qualify as being properly served?

My response:

What address appears on his driver's license? What address did he give to the plaintiff when the contract was entered?

Yes, if your roommate's paperwork still indicates that his parent's house is his place of residence, then it's good Service of Process, albeit, Substitute Service of Process (on his parents). So, it's probably a valid service of the Summons and Complaint, and your roommate must respond to the Summons and Complaint.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">