• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mass underage drinking arrests at frat...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

energy177

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I went to a large frat party around 930 PM on a friday night. before hand i had a beer. I was not drinking at the party. The line for the keg was absurd (it was bar style, you didnt serve yourself). Undercover cops busted the party at 1030 PM. They told everyone to get on their knees. First they took anyone who was over 21 outside and released them. Then they asked "who has not been drinking tonight?" A few people stepped forward. They were given breathalizers. I could not step forward for fear that i may blow a .003 or something. After that they carted all of us to the police station. This was a 5 hour process because 88 people had been arrested. we were cramped in a relatively small room. When i finally recieved my citation it said "D&F ciszed was seen drinking alcohol at a large college party." I was in fact not drinking alcohol there. Everyone at the station that night had to see the judge and plead guilty or not guilty. I pled not guilty. People who pled guilty received a $300 fine plus court costs and possible license suspension. That is the max fine they can give you. So I figured what not plead not guilty and go to court.

So what are my chances in court of getting out of this? and will I need a lawyer? this whole situation just seems crazy to me.

p.s. i was never given a breathalizer or any other type of test.

O

OhBullship

energy177 said:
What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I went to a large frat party around 930 PM on a friday night. before hand i had a beer. I was not drinking at the party. The line for the keg was absurd (it was bar style, you didnt serve yourself). Undercover cops busted the party at 1030 PM. They told everyone to get on their knees. First they took anyone who was over 21 outside and released them. Then they asked "who has not been drinking tonight?" A few people stepped forward. They were given breathalizers. I could not step forward for fear that i may blow a .003 or something. After that they carted all of us to the police station. This was a 5 hour process because 88 people had been arrested. we were cramped in a relatively small room. When i finally recieved my citation it said "D&F ciszed was seen drinking alcohol at a large college party." I was in fact not drinking alcohol there. Everyone at the station that night had to see the judge and plead guilty or not guilty. I pled not guilty. People who pled guilty received a $300 fine plus court costs and possible license suspension. That is the max fine they can give you. So I figured what not plead not guilty and go to court.

So what are my chances in court of getting out of this? and will I need a lawyer? this whole situation just seems crazy to me.

p.s. i was never given a breathalizer or any other type of test.
You admitted that you had been drinking by not going with the people who had not been drinking when they asked. You're going to court, isn't taking a lawyer with you a no brainer?

energy177

OhBullship said:
You admitted that you had been drinking by not going with the people who had not been drinking when they asked. You're going to court, isn't taking a lawyer with you a no brainer?
So, theoretically, if i drank in the morning, and a police officer stopped me at night (while im completly sober) and asked if i drank at all today. And i say yes, i would still be arrested?

The fact was, i didnt drink at the party like it says in my citation. I was probably completely sober, but i could not be sure, so i did not want to push my luck with the breathalizer. Any thoughts on what may go down in court?

O

OhBullship

energy177 said:
So, theoretically, if i drank in the morning, and a police officer stopped me at night (while im completly sober) and asked if i drank at all today. And i say yes, i would still be arrested?

The fact was, i didnt drink at the party like it says in my citation. I was probably completely sober, but i could not be sure, so i did not want to push my luck with the breathalizer. Any thoughts on what may go down in court?
You're underage, so yes, you can get into trouble for admitting you were drinking, even if you are not drunk at that moment.

Hire an attorney, you're going to need one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">