• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

newfence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

toodumb

What is the name of your state? CA

Bought home 3 years ago. Fence falling down. tract home. Checked property metal post in curb, fence is 32 inches on my side of the line.
Paid for survey tha determined fence was on my side of the line by 32 inches and tapered back 60' to back wall at the correct point.
I put a new fence 2 inches on my side of the survyed line. Removed old fence.
Fence cost over $ 1000.00 Neighbor has said nothing. What is the 10 year rule. Don't I have a period of time to remedy the wrong from the time it is discovered?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

toodumb said:
What is the name of your state? CA

Bought home 3 years ago. Fence falling down. tract home. Checked property metal post in curb, fence is 32 inches on my side of the line.
Paid for survey tha determined fence was on my side of the line by 32 inches and tapered back 60' to back wall at the correct point.
I put a new fence 2 inches on my side of the survyed line. Removed old fence.
Fence cost over $ 1000.00 Neighbor has said nothing. What is the 10 year rule. Don't I have a period of time to remedy the wrong from the time it is discovered?

My response:

What "wrong" are you talking about?

IAAL

toodumb

toodumb

The wrong is that the subcontractor put the fence 32 inches on my property rather than on the property line. Can the neighbor require that the fence be moved back to the subcontractor's line because the wrong occurred over 10 years ago; yet, I just discovered it thanks

Happy Trails

toodumb said:
The wrong is that the subcontractor put the fence 32 inches on my property rather than on the property line. Can the neighbor require that the fence be moved back to the subcontractor's line because the wrong occurred over 10 years ago; yet, I just discovered it thanks
Your neighbor has said nothing. If he does, show him the survey.

Shel77

you can have a fence put anywhere you choose on your property as long as the city/county doesn't demand a setback that is. So what the old fence was 32 inches over now the new one is 2 inches it was and still is on your property, like happy said if he asks why the fence was moved show him the survey and tell him since it needed replacing you decided to enclose more of YOUR property in the fence, period.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">