• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

statute of limitations on Rape.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Labtec600

What is the name of your state? MI...

Alright this doesnt apply to me or anyone I know, it's just a general question I have and it would be great if anyone could explain this to me.

I was watching one of those foresinc type shows on tv. What happend is a girl was raped by an unknown man. Well 4-5 years later, the crime still had not been solved, but they were investigating it. Suddenly the narrator said "since the statute of limitations had exceded, no sexual asault charges could be filed". What the hell????? That is just ridiculous.

I can see if the girl waited five years or whatever to mention that she had been raped, but if the police were in the middle of investigating it, and the women obviously wanted to file charges, how the hell could the statute of limitation take effect???

Did I hear them right when they said that? Because if that is true, then that is just F-ed up and I was wondering if someone could explain why they wouldnt be able to charge if they work looking for the guy and the girl made a complaint.

I believe the state it happend in was New York.

Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">