• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What rights does a spouse have if she was separated and living in another statefor ye

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Keldes42

What is the name of your state? Louisiana. What is the law when you have a grandfather that is deceased but he has a spouse in Oregon because they were separated for 10 yrs. and he was living with a woman here in louisiana for 7 yrs. and the wife in Oregon wants to put the trailer up for rent when she has nothing to do with the mobile home because he bought that after they separated and were never back together after that. And his truck is at my house that she has no say so about either cause he bought that too after they separated. So what right does she have to rent this mobile home out? She had promised that the oldest granddaughter could pay $200 a month until the $4000 was paid but yet they never drew up any papers. Then she calls and says the granddaughter has to move cause no one was suppose to be on the land but now she is renting it to someone outside the family. Can she do this? I would think not since she does not own the mobile home or the truck. Can we stop here from doing this in the state of Louisiana? Please let me know something ASAP please!!!!! I have 3 children that are part owners on this property and we are trying to stop this as fast as we can. Please let me hear from you very soon!!! Thanks so much!!!

JETX

Keldes42 said:
What is the law when you have a grandfather that is deceased but he has a spouse in Oregon because they were separated for 10 yrs. and he was living with a woman here in louisiana for 7 yrs.
First, as long as he was still married to the woman who is in Oregon.... she is still his legal spouse and entitled to the rights/privileges of same.

and the wife in Oregon wants to put the trailer up for rent when she has nothing to do with the mobile home because he bought that after they separated and were never back together after that.
Not relevant.

And his truck is at my house that she has no say so about either cause he bought that too after they separated.
Sorry, wrong. She has spousal rights to his truck also.

So what right does she have to rent this mobile home out?
That will depend on whether the grandfather has a will... and if so, what it says.

She had promised that the oldest granddaughter could pay $200 a month until the $4000 was paid but yet they never drew up any papers. Then she calls and says the granddaughter has to move cause no one was suppose to be on the land but now she is renting it to someone outside the family. Can she do this?
Depends on the answer to the above.

I would think not since she does not own the mobile home or the truck.
You have provided nothing to show that she doesn't have the rights to ownership. Need to know will status.

Can we stop here from doing this in the state of Louisiana? Please let me know something ASAP please!!!!! I have 3 children that are part owners on this property and we are trying to stop this as fast as we can. Please let me hear from you very soon!!! Thanks so much!!!
Nothing can be answered until you tell us if there was a will and how EXACTLY the property was titled.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">