• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Phone number given out by city hall!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lvcoyote

What is the name of your state? Washington

Am just curious if a citizen can walk into ciy hall and be given my phone number which is an unlisted number. Is this legal for them to do??

Basically what happened is a neighbor a couple doors down mistakenly thought my dog was barking (it was actually the dog next door to me) too much. My neighbor was given my phone number by the clerk at city hall. I do know that my name was not given, but my phone number was. My phone number is unlisted with the phone company. The thing that concerns me is that my wife is a mental health worker and it scares the hell out of me that anyone can walk into city hall and get information on us.

Please advise.....thank you

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Lvcoyote said:
What is the name of your state? Washington

Am just curious if a citizen can walk into ciy hall and be given my phone number which is an unlisted number. Is this legal for them to do??

Basically what happened is a neighbor a couple doors down mistakenly thought my dog was barking (it was actually the dog next door to me) too much. My neighbor was given my phone number by the clerk at city hall. I do know that my name was not given, but my phone number was. My phone number is unlisted with the phone company. The thing that concerns me is that my wife is a mental health worker and it scares the hell out of me that anyone can walk into city hall and get information on us.

Please advise.....thank you

My response:

Why would someone go to City Hall to get a phone number? That wouldn't be my first thought. Why would City Hall have your number, anyway?

IAAL

Lvcoyote

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

Why would someone go to City Hall to get a phone number? That wouldn't be my first thought. Why would City Hall have your number, anyway?

IAAL
Its a very small town, apparently there is only one town clerk that wears many hats. I guess its also where you go to get city tags for pets, so thats where she went for information on us.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Lvcoyote said:
Its a very small town, apparently there is only one town clerk that wears many hats. I guess its also where you go to get city tags for pets, so thats where she went for information on us.

My response:

Okay. Small town bullcrap. Must be one of those towns with an Indian name, like Toppinish, or Walla Walla. Anyway, despite the town's size, the fact remains that you filled out public records. Public records are always available for public inspection; ergo, the name "public records".

You should have left that portion of the form blank.

IAAL

Lvcoyote

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

Okay. Small town bullcrap. Must be one of those towns with an Indian name, like Toppinish, or Walla Walla. Anyway, despite the town's size, the fact remains that you filled out public records. Public records are always available for public inspection; ergo, the name "public records".

You should have left that portion of the form blank.

IAAL
Even if a phone number was required in order to obtain the pet license??

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Lvcoyote said:
Even if a phone number was required in order to obtain the pet license??

My response:

Does everyone in the United States have a phone? And, if you don't have a phone, does that mean you're not entitled to public service, and public services?

Change your phone number.

IAAL

Lvcoyote

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

Does everyone in the United States have a phone? And, if you don't have a phone, does that mean you're not entitled to public service, and public services?

Change your phone number.

IAAL
Ok, I understand your point. I guess I'll go to city hall monday and demand that I am given the chief of police's home phone number and see if whats good for the goose.......

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Lvcoyote said:
Ok, I understand your point. I guess I'll go to city hall monday and demand that I am given the chief of police's home phone number and see if whats good for the goose.......

My response:

Actually, you won't get that. Public officials are exempt due to public safety reasons. But, since you're not a public official, it's open season for any crazoid who happens to ask for your information!

IAAL

Lvcoyote

So your saying I can legally go into this city clerk's office and ask for all the informaton she has on any non public official citizen?? And she would have to provide it??

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Lvcoyote said:
So your saying I can legally go into this city clerk's office and ask for all the informaton she has on any non public official citizen?? And she would have to provide it??

My response:

Basically, yes. Want to know about your aunt Shirley's divorce? Ask the filing clerk to see the file! Want to know about your neighbor's criminal history? Ask the clerk for the court file!

Yes, City Hall, and the courts, are a wealth of information. You could spend hours getting all the good juicy stuff on your friends.

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Lvcoyote said:
Ok, I appreciate your time this evening, thanks for the help!
My response:

Not a problem. Hey, you want to know what your spouse was like before you got married? That's right, ask the clerk for the file!

IAAL

Lvcoyote

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

Not a problem. Hey, you want to know what your spouse was like before you got married? That's right, ask the clerk for the file!

IAAL
I hired a private investigator for that......LOL!!!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Lvcoyote said:
I hired a private investigator for that......LOL!!!

My response:

Excellent move on your part. I did the same thing with Mrs. Liable before we were married. Had something to do with a street corner and a lamp post . . .

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">