• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

News Reporters - Personal Property - Privacy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Indiana

A member of my family is involved in a lawsuit. A news reporter came onto my property and knocked on my door. I opened the door and there was a camera in my face. I quickly closed the door. A story was aired on the news which included me opening the door and a picture of my house. Can a news reporter enter your property, film you, quote anything that may have been said, and air it on TV without your permission?

racer72

Unless you have a locked gate with a no trespassing sign, nothing illegal happened to you or your property.

BelizeBreeze

mortgagemess said:
Thank you for the response. I did not think about that. There is no locked gate or sign.
As a former member of the fourth estate (for all of you who don't know that, it's the newspaper business) the best advice anyone can give you in this situation is to NOT slam the door in their face. If you are faced with this situation again, let them ask the question then reply, "Since I am not personally involved in this matter I feel it would be wrong of me to offer any comment. Thank you" then close the door as you would at any other time.

In other words, be professional but firm. At least then you won't look like you're trying to hide something, as your post seems.

No, I did not slam that door in there face, however, I do know that I had every right to as they had no business being here. However, I am not that violent and rude. No, not trying to hide anything. Just like many others, I feel the media oversteps thier boundaries sometimes.

BelizeBreeze

mortgagemess said:
No, I did not slam that door in there face, however, I do know that I had every right to as they had no business being here. However, I am not that violent and rude. No, not trying to hide anything. Just like many others, I feel the media oversteps thier boundaries sometimes.
And since you had no locked gate, no signs posted or anything else to stop anyone (including sales people, meter readers or others with a legitimate interest in speaking with you) on what legal theory do you stand to be rude?

Listen, if you want to act like this then no wonder you're having problems. If you want to deal with this like an adult I've told you what to do. If all you want to do is piss and moan then go here.

Act like what? There was nothing in my post that was rude, nor indicating that I was trying to hide something. Just because one does not want to be filmed, does not mean that they are trying to hide something. There is a big difference between a sales person, meter reader, etc...they do not film you and put you on television.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">