• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

trees and horrible neighbors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amberlilly

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Idaho. My question is I am a young homeowner and I have owned my residence for one year. The neighbor behind me has over grown trees. Its a rental property through one owner. The tenants are horrible beer drinking and loud music at all hours. Well, the tree got hit by a wind storm about a year ago. A branch fell and ripped my power out. I had to pay out of pocket 800.00 to put in a new electrical box. He will still not speak to me on the matter. I belive small claims is the best route. Any answers? My second and most dreaded is the renters bought the house on the other side of me and I have 45 year old bushes that seperate the land. There has never been a problem before but now they want to cut the bushes back. They would hack them and they would not survive. There is no survey for either property and I can not afford one. I am 29 raising two children and I am on a limited not welfare income. They are now harrassing me and also telling my children the bugs from the trees will eat their heads. My children just want to play. Does anyone have a good suggestion besides a gun? Of course I am joking but I am tired of the annoying drinking scum living next door. I live in a good neighborhood and all around me are retired people that keep their landscapes nice as so do I and this house and what attends it is like a wart on the face of life. Any suggestions?

divgradcurl

Well, the tree got hit by a wind storm about a year ago. A branch fell and ripped my power out. I had to pay out of pocket 800.00 to put in a new electrical box. He will still not speak to me on the matter. I belive small claims is the best route. Any answers?
If the tree limb just blew off during a windstorm, your neighbor is probably not liable for any damages -- that's an "act of god" and you will need to prove that the neighbor was negligent in order to recover your damages. In other words, you'll have to prove that the neighbor knew, or should have known, that the tree limb was damaged and likely to fall off in a windstorm. If the wind was just that, a lot of wind, and the tree was otherwise healthy, there is no negligence.

Besides, if the tree limbs were hanging over your property, you could have trimmed them back.

My second and most dreaded is the renters bought the house on the other side of me and I have 45 year old bushes that seperate the land. There has never been a problem before but now they want to cut the bushes back. They would hack them and they would not survive. There is no survey for either property and I can not afford one.
The neighbor can trim back the bushes if they are on his property, or encroach onto his property, although he is not allowed to kill the bushes. However, without a survey, it may be tough to prove where the exact property line is. Forget the renters -- why not talk with the landlord to see if you can work something out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">