• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what if dog bites again?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mgdumas

What is the name of your state?Ct
I posted this in homeowner insurance, but maybe it belongs here instead:
My dog is a fear aggressive dog that I love very much. He bit someone who was running down the street, 2 years ago and I was sued last year. I understand this was my fault, but now my problem is that my insurance company is not renewing my ins. and I don't know what to do. I have considered getting his front teeth removed, so a future bite will not cause damage, but of course I am not planning on him biting again. I muzzle him when people come over (or close him in a separate room), and we have an invisible fence which he is scared to death to go through. The teeth removing part may sound awful, but a vet actually recommended it.
My question: can I be sued if he bites again, even if he won't draw blood because he'll be all gums? If I have a sign outside (invisible fence, beware of dog), and yet people come into my yard, is it my fault?
By the way, yes I know I should probably put him down, but every time I conseder that, it breaks my heart. Worst comes to worse, I know I have to. But I have a little bit of time to find a different solution.

ellencee

mgdumas
I have a suggestion for you as regards what to do with your dog other than 'put him down'. Search the web for a local or nearby animal rescue organization. If your dog is a particular breed, search for a rescue organization for that breed of dog. These organizations have volunteers who will take your dog, train it (if possible) and find a suitable home where the dog can enjoy life. We did this for one of our pets, a fiesty little Shih Tzu who bit everyone but my husband. I attempted to get the dog's teeth removed but the vet. dentist would not pull the teeth of a healthy dog and explained that the jaws, sans teeth, would still be able to inflict a significant bite due to the strength of a dog's jaws.

Like you, we really had no choice but to get rid of our pet because of her predisposition to biting. I contacted our homeowenr's insurance for information as to what would happen if our dog caused injury. Our homeowner's insurance made it abundantly clear that the dog was a serious liability and if the dog injured someone, our insurance would not be renewed. Finding replacement insurance would also have been a near impossibility; I called several companies and each replied that "no" if the dog had caused an injury (their) insurance company would not issue a replacement policy.

Getting rid of the dog was our only option. A friend suggested a dog rescue organization and I posted on three sites, requesting help. Within thirty minutes, a volunteer called and we made arrangements to take the dog to the rescue mission. The dog has since been placed with a man who lives alone and has no regular visitors. The dog is alive and well and the man has a loyal friend who will bite the starch out of any intruder!

You really can not afford to let your dog continue to be a threat to others, a liability to yourself, and miserable living with a mussle over it's face.

Best wishes,
EC

mgdumas

Thanks for the advice, but I got in contact with the woman who runs the local pet rescue and she won't take a dog with a bite history. I guess I don't really have a choice. One insurance agent right now said they might be able to get insurance with the dog, but it will cost a lot.

wsnead

Other options

Other options to putting your dog down, which if you love your dog you will not be able to do is to enroll your dog in a six week basic training class. This will help to socialize your dog. I enrolled both of my dogs in those classes and I definitely saw a difference in their attitude towards people and other animals.

Secondly I would consider getting another dog, different breed to give you dog a companion that likes to play. That will help her burn energy and help in the socialization part with other animals, preferably a puppy. I gave my 3 year old german shepherd male a pit bull female puppy to play with and it really helps when socializing and training your dog.

carofl93

another option

If you know the specific breed of your pup, do a Yahoo or Google search for a rescue group...more often than not, even if the dog has a bad history, they can help, and a lot of the rescue groups will travel to save him/her from being euthanized...some have foster parents who live outside the area that the rescue serves as well.
We adopted a Weimaraner (who has since passed on due to old age) from the WCA rescue. He was being fostered in Miami, and we live near Pensacola. His foster mom graciously drove to Tampa and we met her there so that we could give him his forever home.
Also, some of the breed specific groups will accept a dog outside their particular breed or can give you information about another group that can help.
If you go to www.petfinder.com you can place an ad to adopt him/her out, and can possibly find a group to take the dog.

Carol

Last edited:

ENASNI

jity said:
Training is the key - I would enroll your pet in one on one
How is teaching it basketball gonna help? :p

I sure hope you figure something out that works, and get to keep it. I would hate to have to give up my dog... but you have to do the right thing.

My suggestion is to set your TIVO to record the cable show, "The Dog Whisperer" with Cesar Millan.

I rescue abused dogs and encountered a similar problem with an abandoned male dog. I contacted Cesar (we are in Los Angeles) and was amazed to witness the dog’s behavior change in less than 30 minutes. Cesar’s core philosophy is in order to change the aggressive behavior, you must first change the owner’s behavior.

I am sure you can google his name and find additional information. Good luck.

ENASNI said:
How is teaching it basketball gonna help? :p

I sure hope you figure something out that works, and get to keep it. I would hate to have to give up my dog... but you have to do the right thing.

Enasni is right. This is a tad more complicated than enrolling your pooch in basic training.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">