• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stepparent adoption/change child's last name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RionBird

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? South Carolina (biofather lives in AZ)

I have gotten remarried within the last 6 months. My husband and I have been together since my daughter was 4 yrs old and she is now turning 6. I have sole custody of my daughter and my the Biofather of my daughter has not paid any child support since September of 2003 or seen his daughter since march of 2003. He has also forfitted his rights and signed off from his attourney. My current husband would like to adopt my daughter and give her his last name. Do I need permission from the biofather in order for my husband to adopt my daughter? Or can we go forth with the adoption process? Does he have to adopt her to give her his last name?

Pam1948

You said,He has also forfitted his rights and signed off from his attourney. What did he sign off?? Its hard to answer your Question. If he has sign off the rights of his child and support. Then you will need that paper, take it to a adoption attourney. Thats all you will need. If Not He will have to sign. He is the father.
My mom did this to my brother and I when we were small, I was 8 and my brother was 4. When I was 18teen I change it back.It cost me only $50 dallars.Back in the 60's.
From, a daughter that hate her mom for years because of this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">