• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

easement worries

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rch

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I bought a house about a year ago. The previous owner used to dump the yard trash in the woods at the back of the property. I recently noticed that my neighbor also dumps his yard trash there, that is, on my property. The neighbor said the previous owner was OK with that for the past 25 years. However, the property was sold to me as a "whole" without any title issues.

Does the neighbor have a right to claim easement? Can I easily ask the neighbor to stop using my property? How would you recommend enforcing my rights?

Some Random Guy

Tell him that it doesn't matter what the old owner let him do. You are the new owner and he is not allowed to dump trash on your property. There is no "trash dumping easement" there is no "adverse possession right to litter". Just tell him no. If he does it again, call the police.

Happy Trails

rch said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I bought a house about a year ago. The previous owner used to dump the yard trash in the woods at the back of the property. I recently noticed that my neighbor also dumps his yard trash there, that is, on my property. The neighbor said the previous owner was OK with that for the past 25 years. However, the property was sold to me as a "whole" without any title issues.

Does the neighbor have a right to claim easement? Can I easily ask the neighbor to stop using my property? How would you recommend enforcing my rights?
Tell them you don't want them dumping on your land. The old owner may have been okay with it, but your not.

rch

Thanks to all for your reply. I'll pay the town hall to mark the edge of my property and will tell neighbor not to dump trash across the line.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">