• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is the Seller Liable for New Carpet/Flooring?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PBJT04

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Illinois
We purchased our home January 12th, 2005. We called to have our carpets cleaned in our Family Room/Dining Room about 3 weeks ago. After the carpet cleaner left, I came home from work, (my husband was home during the cleaning process) and my entire house had a terrible odor that was NOT here prior to the carpets being cleaned. I called the carpet cleaning place back and the owner of the company came out and said it smelled like a pet odor. He proceeded to bring out a black lite and go over the entire carpet and noticed spots practically ALL over the carpet. He said once the hot water hit the carpet, it probably drew the bacteria to the top of the carpet and then activated this horrid smell. We ripped out the carpets yesterday because we have heard from a few places to take out the carpet and bleach the floor and seal with Kilz. Once we starting removing the carpet, there were stains on the UNDERSIDE of the carpet like you wouldn't believe. It was the most disgusting site I have ever seen. We have taken photos of the carpet once we had it all removed in case we would have a case. Anyways, it also appears that it is in the sub-floor, and I don't know that after we bleach and seal the floor that the smell will be gone 100%. I have heard from one of the neighbor kids that the lady who lived here did have a dog and that the dog did potty in the house. Is she responsible for not disclosing this to us prior to closing and could she be held responsible for replacing the carpet in those 2 rooms? The carpet cleaner owner said the carpet looked in great condition other than the odor he was smelling, so I am not sure how they masked this horrible smell. We just hadn't planned on replacing the carpet this soon. It also states on the listing sheet for the house "NEW CARPET". Not sure as to which room this would pertain to, definately NOT those 2 rooms. We did have a home inspection, but like I said, it didn't smell until the hot water hit it and the listing sheet said NEW CARPET. Unless he would have pealed up part of the carpet during the inspection, which I don't think they ever do, this would not be a known problem unless the seller disclosed properly. Any help you can offer on this would be much appreciated, and sorry about the long post.
Thanks

A

absconder

If you ever find out what they used to mask the odor pass it on. Somedays I just feel lazy. :eek:

PBJT04

BradleyS,
In this transaction there were no attorneys on either side.
There was a listing agent and a selling agent (from two different companies)
as far as Realtors go.

BradleyS

Have you talked to your REALTOR about this problem?

What type of agency agreement did you have with the REALTOR? (Designated, Transaction Broker, Buyer's Agency, etc.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">