• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

do kids have civil rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lwilliamson3

What is the name of your state? mississippi
My 13 year old granddaughter accidently stepped on another students foot in school, she apologized to the girl and start to walk away. The other student got in front of my granddaughter and shoved her, my granddaughter tried to push her out of the way and walk away, but the other girl started hitting my granddaughter in the face. After the girl hit her in the face three times, my granddaughter starting fighting back to protect herself. When the teacher came into the room he took both of them to the office. The other girl didn't have any marks on her, my granddaughter had a very large knot on her forehead, a bruise under her eye, a cut on her chin and scratches on her neck. The office suspended both of them, kicked my granddaugter off the cheerleading team for next year and had both of them arrested for simple assault. The police handcuffed my granddaughter and the other girl and took them to juvenile court. Other students in the class told the teacher that my granddaughter was just defending herself, because the other girl was beating her up. I thought a person had the right to self-defense. My granddaughter couldn't just stand there and let the girl beat her up and maybe seriously hurt her. We did take her to the daughter and she has a right orbital contusion. I think this is a violation of her civil rights to defend herself. What rights does my granddaughter have?

BelizeBreeze

lwilliamson3 said:
What is the name of your state? mississippi
My 13 year old granddaughter accidently stepped on another students foot in school, she apologized to the girl and start to walk away. The other student got in front of my granddaughter and shoved her, my granddaughter tried to push her out of the way and walk away, but the other girl started hitting my granddaughter in the face. After the girl hit her in the face three times, my granddaughter starting fighting back to protect herself. When the teacher came into the room he took both of them to the office. The other girl didn't have any marks on her, my granddaughter had a very large knot on her forehead, a bruise under her eye, a cut on her chin and scratches on her neck. The office suspended both of them, kicked my granddaugter off the cheerleading team for next year and had both of them arrested for simple assault. The police handcuffed my granddaughter and the other girl and took them to juvenile court. Other students in the class told the teacher that my granddaughter was just defending herself, because the other girl was beating her up. I thought a person had the right to self-defense. My granddaughter couldn't just stand there and let the girl beat her up and maybe seriously hurt her. We did take her to the daughter and she has a right orbital contusion. I think this is a violation of her civil rights to defend herself. What rights does my granddaughter have?
Your granddaughter has the same rights as everyone else. What you are failing to see because you are too close to the situation, is that the school acted properly under the circumstances.

The best thing now would be to get little girl an attorney for the criminal charges and appeal the school suspension and being kicked off the squad.

And this has nothing to do with civil rights. The school has a right to discipline students who fight, the police have a right (and a duty) to handcuff detainees and your daughter has a right to defend her actions in court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">