• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tortious interferance of a contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BradleyS

What is the name of your state? KANSAS

What basic criteria must be met to claim tortious interference of a contract?

Written real estate contract.

You Are Guilty

BradleyS said:
What is the name of your state? KANSAS

What basic criteria must be met to claim tortious interference of a contract?

Written real estate contract.
In a nutshell:

"The elements essential to recovery for tortious interference with a contract are: (1) the contract; (2) the wrongdoer's knowledge thereof; (3) his intentional procurement of its breach; (4) the absence of justification; and (5) damages resulting therefrom." Reebles, Inc. v. Bank of America, N.A., 29 Kan.App.2d 205, 25 P.3d 871 (2001).

"Justification" is the most common defense. Kansas recognizes these factors in considering whether the interference was justified:
"(1) the nature of the defendant's conduct; (2) the defendant's motive; (3) the interests of the other with which the defendant's conduct interferes; (4) the interests sought to be advanced by the defendant; (5) the social interests in protecting the freedom of action of the defendant and the contractual interests of the other; (6) the proximity or remoteness of the defendant's conduct to the interference; and (7) the relations between the parties." Turner v. Halliburton Co., 240 Kan. 1, 12, 722 P.2d 1106 (1986).

Hope that helps.

You Are Guilty

However, if you would like my somewhat-legal opinions on the current state of the NY Mets, please just let me know. I have plenty.

You Are Guilty

I'll let you know tomorrow. It may change significantly if they beat the snot out of Clemens tonight (and Piazza doesn't act like a little girl again) :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">