• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fence encroachment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

meeowser

What is the name of your state? CA
We bought our house in 2001. The house had a fence already and trees lining the property boundries. The trees have been here for 17 years, along with the house. The lot next to us has recently been cleared and the owner will be building a house on it. He told us yesterday we need to move our fence back 6-8 feet! No paperwork to back that up, just his tapemeasure. I live at the end of a court so we are the last house. I looked at subdivision map that shows all the lot sizes and my neighbor on my back fence told me she had her lot surveyed. So we measured our back property line and found out her fence is 3 feet short than what the map says. So, I called the Recording Office in our county and gave them 3 addresses to look up to see if they have a survey on file. None of them do! So how do I know if any of the property lines are correct??!!?? I do not want to pay for a survey. The lot owner wants my trees to be removed. Thats 4 trees that have been here 17 years! They are the only trees I have on that side of yard. Isnt there some law that states if trees have been there since house was built then that is considered a ligitamate boundry? We need help! What is our next step?

meeowser

Question about trees

Do you know if the trees are considered a legitamate boundry line since they have been here for 17 years tho?

BelizeBreeze

meeowser said:
Do you know if the trees are considered a legitamate boundry line since they have been here for 17 years tho?
The ONLY legal boundary you have is what the survey shows and what you can prove that you have 'taken' under adverse possession statutes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">