• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there such a thing as a statute of limitations?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

greenmountain

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

Can anyone tell me if there is such a thing as a statute of limitations on:
a bench warrant for failure to appear for a DUI?

I now live in another state and it has been three years since these charges were made in NC. Will I have to return only to be arrested and detained and suspended for a year? I just want to know how the law works - I have no idea about the the penal code in NC, etc.
I want nothing more than to settle this, and if that means going to NC to be arrested, etc., I will.

Thanks.

racer72

There is no SOL for arrest warrants. Some jurisdictions may purge warrants for minor offenses after 10 or 15 years, there are no laws that require it though. You are smart to take care of it, if you don't one day when you least expect it you will get pulled over for a minor traffic offense and have to spend a week or 2 in jail while NC decided if they want to extradite or not.

hisredangel

greenmountain said:
What is the name of your state? North Carolina

Can anyone tell me if there is such a thing as a statute of limitations on:
a bench warrant for failure to appear for a DUI?

I now live in another state and it has been three years since these charges were made in NC. Will I have to return only to be arrested and detained and suspended for a year? I just want to know how the law works - I have no idea about the the penal code in NC, etc.
I want nothing more than to settle this, and if that means going to NC to be arrested, etc., I will.

Thanks.
there is no statute of limitations on a bench warrant. as carl said in some of this other posts, the police are busy and usually if you get stopped for something will they find out you have one on you. but best if you turn yourself in when you get there and have it over with.

racer72

hisredangel said:
there is no statute of limitations on a bench warrant. as carl said in some of this other posts, the police are busy and usually if you get stopped for something will they find out you have one on you. but best if you turn yourself in when you get there and have it over with.
Excuse me troll, what purpose does it serve to resurrect a long dead thread and basically repeat the exact same thing I already posted? Plus I can almost guarantee, based on the lack of a response from the OP, that the person that started this thread never came back to see if he received a reponse. Server space is expensive, if you have nothing to add, don't post.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">