• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Eviction for noise complaints?!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hollywood_house

California – Hollywood
Here is the situation:
I have been living in a house in Hollywood for 1 year now, (I am subletting from another tenant who has been there for over two years)
Occasionally (about 3-4 times per year) we have parties or friends over and it gets somewhat noisy.
We have one neighbor in particular that loves to complain and call our landlord and the police.
This neighbor lives in a separate complex next door.
The landlord is threatening EVICTION if we are not able to stay quiet.
However this drastically effects our lifestyle and quality of living.
We can’t live in fear of being evicted because we’re living our life…

Here are my questions:
What is the law regarding complaints from this neighbor?
Can the landlord evict us for noise complaints?
Is it lawful for the neighbor (not even the same building) to be able to call our landlord?
What actions can we do to help end this situation without ruining our lifestyle of having occasional fun?
How can we combat this neighbor for being unreasonable?
What side is the Law on?

Thank you.

Shel77

When the police show up at your door, do they tell you that you must quite down? If so I suppose that would mean the law is not on your side. Yes I would think the landlord would evict you for having lots of complaints and having the police show up at his house that you are renting. Also we must be talking about complaints more often, because you said you have only been there for 1 year and you said these loud parties only happen 3-4 times a year. So, has she only called the landlord and police 3 or 4 times?

As far as your neighbor calling your landlord are you kidding, you think that there is a law that should stop her from calling him?

You need to call the police department and ask then what times the noise ordinance is in effect for example where I live it is from 9pm-9am during that time there can be no excessive noise or the police will come and tell you to quite down and if you do this too many times our city code enforcement will fine us for disturbing the peace, If you want to have loud parties that are so loud that your neighbor "not even the same building" is being disturbed you may want to consider moving to a few acres of land.

hollywood_house

Thank you for posting a even tempered response. i also posted in the landlord forum and got foul mouthed by several crotchety old men who apparently have no life or sense of what makes life fun.

To answer some of your points,
The police were very polite with us and the noise ended after their visit.
Yes i have only been there a year, however we have only had one party since last summer (when most of the complaints were noted) and were very quite since the initall complaint.
I don't know how many times this one individual has called the landlord.
as for the neighbors proximity, his window is right next to our front door, so i can see why he's the only one complaining..
as for moving, well i guess we will if we have to, but it's not going to be in the middle of nowhere.

thanks for your suggestions.

Shel77

Have you spoken with this neighboor maybe try and make her aware of when you will be having your next get-together "We plan on having some friends over next saturday evening" possibly if she was aware she might make plans to be gone or not stay up late friday planning on going to bed early on sat. or other reasons which she might be prone to complain of noise. Also what exactly is she upset about? Stero, loud talking, parking situations ect. Maybe you could find out what her main issue is and try and work it out, after all if this is only ever so often she might be willing to work with you a bit. She may think your just a bunch of pot smoking fools disturbing her if she met you and realized that you were trying to respect her right to peace you never know she might stop calling the cops. Another thing maybe give her your number and ask her to please call you first if it gets too loud so that you may attempt to quite down prior to calling the police/landlord. You'll find you catch more flys with honey!

Poncho4ever

Just because somebody doesn't like their peace disturbed by loud parties doesn't mean they are "crotchety old men who apparently have no life or sense of what makes life fun". First of all, that is "ageism", stereotyping people in a negative way just because they are older. Is it not possible that someone would complain because they have to get up early for work the next day? Or maybe they suffer from migraines and the noise makes it worse. Or they are young parents whose baby you are waking up with your obnoxious partying. I'm guessing you wouldn't care either way because you have to fight for your "right" to party. Just because their life isn't a non-stop party doesn't mean it is less valid than yours. This quote shows that you are a typically inconsiderate, disrespectful, selfish young person who thinks only of their own wants and needs. Incidentally, I am a young person in my early 30's who also happens to enjoy peace and quiet, and am saddened to see what the world is becoming. It's all about ME, ME, ME, and screw everyone else if they don't like it. Like someone else said, if you like to live loud, move somewhere where others won't be forced to deal with it. You have a right to live as you like, but NOT to the point that it prevents someone else from living as THEY like (say, quietly). Grow up and realize there are other people in the world who are different from you and show some respect.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">