• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Social Security and Repayment of Student Loans

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thunderrage

What is the name of your state?undefinedWhat is the name of your state? WI

I was wondering if studen loans can be taken from social security disablity, I sent them a letter from my doctor stating that I was completly disabled. They told me not to send any money. Well just got off the phone with OSI Education Services, they told me my account balance was zero. So I am guessing that means I do not have to pay back my student loans. :confused:

JETX

thunderrage said:
I was wondering if studen loans can be taken from social security disablity, I sent them a letter from my doctor stating that I was completly disabled. They told me not to send any money. Well just got off the phone with OSI Education Services, they told me my account balance was zero. So I am guessing that means I do not have to pay back my student loans.
Until such time as you are able to independently confirm that your student loans are in fact waived.... your guess as to why is far too soon. And no, they will not 'offset'.

zippysgoddess

You will have to ask the loan agency but student loans can be dismissed if your doctor has said you are permanently disabled, which includes being unable to train for some other type of work or return to any type of schooling.

If you are considered temporarily disabled, they may have done a temporary forebearance to stop interest accrual and cease payments until you are able to work again.

As JETX said, until you ask them or get some paperwork, there is no way to know for sure, these are just some ideas.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">