• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSD overpayment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sammyp

What is the name of your state? Arizona.
I returned to work in 2003. I received a letter in 2003 from SSA stating that my last payment would be 10/3/03. I just recently received a letter from SSA stating that I was overpaid and that my last check should have been 7/03 and they want the overpayment back. My question is this: Can they really request that overpayment from me when I have a letter from them stating the last check I would received would be 10/03, and it was actually their fault that I was overpaid? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

bjl1105

sammyp said:
What is the name of your state? Arizona.
I returned to work in 2003. I received a letter in 2003 from SSA stating that my last payment would be 10/3/03. I just recently received a letter from SSA stating that I was overpaid and that my last check should have been 7/03 and they want the overpayment back. My question is this: Can they really request that overpayment from me when I have a letter from them stating the last check I would received would be 10/03, and it was actually their fault that I was overpaid? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
They can request anything, it doesnt mean you are going to repay it. You have the option of filing a reconsideration (meaning their records are wrong) OR you can file a waiver to dismiss the overpayment. In order for a waiver to be approved you have to be without fault in causing the overpayment (pretty obvious here), AND you have to prove that you do not have the funds to repay the overpayment.

Good luck

zippysgoddess

Another way to avoid having to pay it back, is if you can prove at the time you received it, it was your only means of support and you could not have paid your bills and lived without that money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">