• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

real estate questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cinderoak

What is the name of your state? Va
I have a two part question. First where does the 14 months of real estate property tax and 3 months of homeowners insurance go when you close, as you make monthly payments which have your T&I in the payment. So if you have made the payments who is entitled to YOUR money when you either go to another mortgage company or pay off the loan?
Part two I had a cloud on my title because 3 years ago my mortgage company when I refianced did not record or send me the papers to record the original debt had been satisfied. So in the meantime my commitment with another company expired and now my rate has gone up, so is responsible for this expense? The mortgage company or do I have a claim with the title insurance company? Thank you for any help.

sskrab

on part I: real estate taxes and homeowners insurance as you describe goes into escrow. Mortgage companies are governed by certain rules about how much excess escrow money they can hold, but they also have longer timeframes in which to reconcile discrepancies than you likely will like. But, at one point or another, if there is any excess $ held in your escrow account when you change mortgage companies or pay off the loan, the company must refund the money to you. Just don't expect it to happen until sometime after you change/pay off (usually several weeks or a couple months if I recall).

on part II: I don't believe your mortgage company is responsible for filing those papers--I believe it is part of the attorney responsibilities you normally pay in this situation....which leads me to think, you may have done this without an attorney and therefore, the ball got dropped. Don't expect other entities to take responsibility for dropped balls in this situation if you tried to save money and do this without an attorney being involved in the transaction. But others might have better advice on this one than me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">