• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Got arrested for harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

deedeedum

What is the name of your state? New York

So I broke up with my girlfriend recently, and I tried to get my belongings back from her but she refused. So I kept calling and calling (maybe like 10 days in two days) trying to annoy her so that she would return my belongings. Then she filed a temporary restraining order against me as well as harassment. She went to the cops, acted like I was going to kill her, and got the cops really biased against me thinking that I was probably a women beater. I was then arrested and I did admit that I called her many times (which was true) but I didn't make any threats or anything close to it. Now, I will have to appear in court, and since there really isn't a case against me, it will be dismissed for sure. However, I know that on my record, it will still show that I have been arrested but not convicted. Is this really bad when I apply for a job? I know that there is a way to get it removed if I get an attorney, but I am not doing well finanically so if it won't matter, I would bother to deal with it. I am graduating from college in a year, so this is really important to me and please help.

O

OhBullship

deedeedum said:
What is the name of your state? New York

So I broke up with my girlfriend recently, and I tried to get my belongings back from her but she refused. So I kept calling and calling (maybe like 10 days in two days) trying to annoy her so that she would return my belongings. Then she filed a temporary restraining order against me as well as harassment. She went to the cops, acted like I was going to kill her, and got the cops really biased against me thinking that I was probably a women beater. I was then arrested and I did admit that I called her many times (which was true) but I didn't make any threats or anything close to it. Now, I will have to appear in court, and since there really isn't a case against me, it will be dismissed for sure. However, I know that on my record, it will still show that I have been arrested but not convicted. Is this really bad when I apply for a job? I know that there is a way to get it removed if I get an attorney, but I am not doing well finanically so if it won't matter, I would bother to deal with it. I am graduating from college in a year, so this is really important to me and please help.
You did what she claimed you were doing and you already admitted it to the police. What makes you think this is going to be dropped?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">