• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New York State Homesteading

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kerrymc1

What is the name of your state?New York
I own a house in Suffolk County NY. Adjacent to my property is a 25'X100' lot that belongs to Suffolk County because the previous owners of the lot didn't pay their taxes on and it was foreclosed on over 8 years ago. The property has been overgrown with trees,brush,vines etc... ever since I bought my property 11 years ago. I have been trying to maintain the property by pruning,cutting down dead trees etc.. and the land is pretty clear. Someone told me there is a Homstead law and I may be able to assume this lot because I have been taking care of it. Can you tell me anything about how this works?

thank you
Kerry

efflandt

Search for your state laws about 'adverse possession'. That usually includes paying property tax on the land, and usually does NOT apply to government owned land.

Not sure how tax sales work in that area, but if you researched it earlier, you might have been able to buy it for the amount due in back taxes (maybe still could). But if the county wants fair market value, maybe that is why it has been sitting so long.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">