• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Obnoxious trespassing neighbors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

crowbone

What is the name of your state? CO

Older neighborhood - neighbors in their eighties. Got along with them OK for many years - as long as I let them do whatever they felt like. Around five years ago, another group (younger, but just as thoughtless) moved in next door to THEM and they share not only a driveway, but a small dog, which the old man next door to ME took out of the new neighbor's yard and let it run around in MY yard, where it was encouraged (by these "neighbors") to let nature take its course. This got tiresome so I asked BOTH of these neighbors to please keep the dog OUT of my yard.

This polite request fell on deaf ears, in more ways than one.

After the fifth time of asking the old man to keep the dog OUT of my yard - I confronted him verbally and loudly and, as the other neighbors were standing in the mutual driveway taking this all in, I approached the elder of two women, who immediately clapped her hands over her ears and chanted "LA lah, lah, lah" and ran back inside her house(!), this woman appears to be in her fifties and, presumably, too old for such behavior, so despairing of any further reasonable conversation, I called animal control officials who, very reluctantly, gave them a summons.

They (the new neighbors) plead "not guilty", so we had to go to court, where they were fined $50.

NOT the end of the story.

The old man went up and down the street haranguing the neighborhood with some tale of his version of events, and his thirty-five-ish year old grandson approached me on my property - stating "You don't know who I am, but I'm going to ruin your life." I took this obnoxious lout at his word and immediately called the police. Even though I asked to sign a complaint against this boor, the police sided with the "poor old guy" and his belligerent grandson, and left without doing much more, while the old man and his offspring stood glaring at me from their backyard.

For years, the runoff from their overwatering has undermined the sidewalk in front of my house, and is causing cracks in MY driveway. Although I continue to ask them to adjust their sprinkler heads (which run right down the property line - frequently overlaying the concrete of my drive), it just brings about another scene.

Twice now, they have gotten "Piston"(not his real name), the piece of work from across the street, to dig a huge hole in the narrow adjoining property, the dirt getting piled in my yard. More confrontations, more scenes.

The old man gardens in the alley, pitching weeds into my property. More confrontations, more scenes.

The belicose grandson comes and mows their lawn - stomps around in my yard making faces and leaves grass clippings in my driveway. More confrontations, more scenes.

The problem stems, apparently, from their "connections" - present or past - in the city government, and they just feel like I am automatically "wrong" for trying to get them to respect my property rights.

I have spoken to an attorney who knew this family in some regard and stated that he would not get involved - and did not know anyone who would take the case(!).

I don't know whether I need an attorney, the state bar assoc. or an elementary school principal.

Without bringing in an attorney from out-of-town (and costing a fortune), what can I do short of going postal and/or formally declaring war?

Helpful suggestions more than welcome.

crowbone

I like the fence idea, but what I need is a twelve foot brick wall. The wood being subject to the continuous deluge of old stupid's March to November overwatering techniques and I've got tech probs with putting a concrete base onto my concrete driveway - also subject to probably intentional full force spray of water which would prevent adequate setting of the new concrete.

The other (baseball bat) idea is also good - except that, in this neighborhood, I would simply get too much exercise.

Keeping in mind the elderly nature of the Podunkians, I think nature will sooner, rather than later, resolve the matter to my liking.

L

leojj

easy solution

Go to Walmart and buy a huge bottle of round-up and a poppie scooper. Take the **** out of your yard and put it on the front porch. Take the bottle of roundup and kill the garden in the alley. All is fair in love and war.

Greg 2

Chill out and have a nice bacon and egg breakfast. Save the bacon grease however, and pour over the offending stuff in the yard that is left by the dogs.
Dogs LOVE bacon grease!!!! Let them clean up their own mess!! Shouldn't hurt the dogs, but will scare the _____ out of the owners, and get rid of the mess in your yard.

Water problem....let's see....his continuing actions are causing you damage-small claim court sounds approiate.

2'nd thought--Colorado doesn't have watering restrictions do they?

I like the roundup idea..no weeds, no grass to get thrown on your drive.....

Dirt on your property?....must be yours, keep it as a donation, move it, use it, sell it.maybe put up a fence to establish a boundry then sue for damages if/when the backhoe damages it.
Just a few thoughts. Good-day

crowbone

I really like the bacon grease scheme. It is a thing of grotesque beauty and poetic justice. It WILL go into my repertoire as standard operating proceedure.

I hesitate a little bit about small claims, because, when "old calcified" totters into court, you gotta KNOW he's gonna be an instant object of pathos -"poor old guy - just trying to water his lawn - and meany next door - trying to sue him! tsk, tsk...". I will have to
sue angry grandson and/or "Piston" (not his real name) in his capacity as lawnboy at some point instead.

The problem I have with creative vandalism is the very high probability of being observed. The dog fanciers are out on their porch, furiously smoking cigarettes, 24/7, in all weather. Literally.

The dirt idea is also good. Don't have any real use for it, but a good idea nonetheless. And it could snowball into an assault charge as well. I can take a shove or punch - especially if a lawsuit with high probability of a favorable outcome is at the end of it.

If I convey the notion that this once fairly grand neighborhood has become like living in a low-income trailerpark with the general cast of thuggish headwound cases, I guess I've been successful.

But consider that the overbearing and oafish grandson is, apparently, a person of some high esteem in the community....

Last edited:

Greg 2

crowbone said:
........tech probs with putting a concrete base onto my concrete driveway - also subject to probably intentional full force spray of water which would prevent adequate setting of the new concrete.

FWIW Keeping uncured concrete wet longer, results in a stronger product-it will not prevent it from setting up/curing.

msiron

Run a video cam from your window and provoke the grandson into hitting you, audio won't pick up so it doesn't matter what you say in your provocation speech. If he only hits you once, go down and stay down for a while (have your cell on you to call 911 when you become conscious again for the camera - sounds like no neighbor will call 911 for you unfortunately) STAY down till they put you in the ambulance, you can end up with memory problems etc... if you get my drift, not to mention $$. Record everything else going on too, like the sprinklers, grass cutting etc......

I would be out of my mind if neighbors were doing this to my property, hell just the fact that my city has not swept my street from sand yet is giving me a breakdown.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">