• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How much is fair

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KENOSHAMOM

What is the name of your state? WI

Back in Nov 2004 I went, with my husband to a grocery store. I reached into a freezer to get a product from the middle shelf. About 5 cans of frozen orange juice rolled of the top shelf striking my head. The pain was very intense I collapsed and struggled to keep conscious. An ambulance was called and I went to the ER. My vision was blurred and I felt very sick and dazed, I also had large bumps on my head and an area where the can had cut my scalp I asked if I wanted a head scan, but declined, after asking the doctor his advice. . A number of days later I was still feeling sick. I went to my doctor who insisted on having a scan done to rule out any fractures. The scan came back clear, I was however prescribed medication for the sickness which had now been going on for two weeks. The insurance company has now made me an offer to settle the incident. After paying my medical bills approx $1600, they have offered approximately $800 to compensate. A friend of mine has told me that the rule of thumb for insurance companies is 3 times the medical bill for compensation. How much should we ask for? Is $800 fair or should we go for more?

racer72

I say $45.55.

A friend of mine has told me that the rule of thumb for insurance companies is 3 times the medical bill for compensation.
That rule is in fact the law but you will be required to pay 3 times as much for your groceries for one year to make up for the higher insurance premiums the store will incur. Sounds rediculous huh? So is the 3 times rule of thumb, it is just a theory and a lot of wishful thinking by those looking to make a quick buck. Insurance companies know this and very rarely base their settlements on the amount of the medical claims.

jity

I think your thumb is at Wendy’s, it’s the duration of treatment, and others. 800.00 if more the fair given your stated damages.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">