• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can A Life Estate Be Transferred To Another Property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Squiggels

What is the name of your state? Illinois

My inlaws currently have a life estate on their home. They are thinking about moving into a condo and we need to know if the life estate can be transfered from their current property to a new property when they buy it. In other words, can the life estate be placed on the new property and taken off the current property?

BelizeBreeze

Squiggels said:
What is the name of your state? Illinois

My inlaws currently have a life estate on their home. They are thinking about moving into a condo and we need to know if the life estate can be transfered from their current property to a new property when they buy it. In other words, can the life estate be placed on the new property and taken off the current property?
Who is the beneficiary of the life estate and who is the grantor?

Squiggels

My wife and her brother are the beneficiaries of the estate. My inlaws are the grantors. They can live in their current property until they die. However, they want to move and move the life estate with them. Can they do this?

BelizeBreeze

Squiggels said:
My wife and her brother are the beneficiaries of the estate. My inlaws are the grantors. They can live in their current property until they die. However, they want to move and move the life estate with them. Can they do this?
If your inlaws are the grantors of the life estate then they can move anywhere they want.

The conditions are placed on the beneficiaries that once they take the life estate (which means they have the right to live in the home for 'life') and then move, they give up the right to exercise the life estate.

Your in-laws cannot take back the life estate on the present property but can place another life estate on a separate property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">