• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Friend Growing MJ, His Friend Selling It For Him

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaimelopez

What is the name of your state? New Mexico

My friend is growing marijuana and his friend is selling it for him. Let's call them Larry and Bill. Larry, hoping to misdirect the cops if Bill gets busted, tells Bill that the grow is at a different location than where it actually is. The fake location is not on Larry's family's property but the real location is. The property where the grow actually is is not Larry's personally, but it is his family's property. The fake location is someone else's property alltogether.

If Bill gets busted and tells the cops that he knows where Larry's grow is, can the cops only get a warrant for that specific location? That way Larry would have enough time to get rid of the evidence in the correct location. Or would the cops get a "blanket" warrant and raid the location given to them by Bill AND Larry's family's properties? I'm confused as to the scope of this potential warrant. I would think that they could only search where Bill said that the grow was but please tell me if I'm wrong. Thanks,
Jaime

Last edited:

jaimelopez

I'm not asking for respondents to aid and abett, I'm asking for legal advice on what the cops can do as far as getting a warrant to search for a grow operation.

O

OhBullship

Here is your legal advice: get out of the pot growing business and get a real job. When you do that you won't have to worry about these things.

smutlydog

jaimelopez said:
What is the name of your state? New Mexico

My friend is growing marijuana and his friend is selling it for him. Let's call them Larry and Bill. Larry, hoping to misdirect the cops if Bill gets busted, tells Bill that the grow is at a different location than where it actually is. The fake location is not on Larry's property but the real location is.

If Bill gets busted and tells the cops that he knows where Larry's grow is, can the cops only get a warrant for that specific location? That way Larry would have enough time to get rid of the evidence in the correct location. Or would the cops get a "blanket" warrant and raid the location given to the m by Bill AND Larry's properties? I'm confused as to the scope of this potential warrant. I would think that they could only search where Bill said that the grow was but please tell me if I'm wrong. Thanks,
Jaime
Telling the cops where it is will only get the cops to investigate the person or location? When they get to the location they will look for more evidence, like a strong odor, taped up windows, high electricity usage and anything else that may constitute enough probable cause to get a search warrant.

The cops may even knock on the door to see if they smell something or if maybe the person answering will be stupid enough to let them search.

What they really want is for the informant to make a controlled buy.That in itself will be enough to get a search warrant for any property that's in the suspects name.

http://www.1stmarijuanagrowerspage.com/growing-marijuana-7.html

jaimelopez

Is this site here for legal advice, including drug charges, search warrants, arrests, etc.? Just wondering because a lot of people have been getting advice to help them get their charges lessened or dropped on this site and in this forum. Telling me to go somewhere else kind of defeats the purpose of this message board, does it not?

jaimelopez

Thanks smutlydog, you are one of the very few helpful people on this site. So if Bill gets busted and tells the cops about Larry's grow, they will investigate the location that Bill tells them about and nowhere else? The controlled buy wouldn't happen so I assume that the only thing they would have would be the location that Bill told them about.

Last edited:

smutlydog

jaimelopez said:
Thanks smutlydog, you are one of the very few helpful people on this site. So if Bill gets busted and tells the cops about Larry's grow, they will investigate the location that Bill tells them about and nowhere else?
Look if bill gets busted it's probably because he has been watched for a while which means the cops might already know the low down on where the crop is.Don't think the cops are going to believe everything he says.They will research his claim and probably will get to the truth.

O

OhBullship

jaimelopez said:
Thanks smutlydog, you are one of the very few helpful people on this site. So if Bill gets busted and tells the cops about Larry's grow, they will investigate the location that Bill tells them about and nowhere else? The controlled buy wouldn't happen so I assume that the only thing they would have would be the location that Bill told them about.
How stupid do you believe the police are? Do you think they are going to ask where it is growing and give up when they find nothing there?

Guess what happens then.......come on, you can do it.....

jaimelopez

Then they go to Larry's place. But, because of the first raid on the wrong location, Larry knows to get rid of everything incriminating in the real location immediately. That is what is really needed here, to know whether or not Bill telling the cops about the wrong location would give Larry enough time to destroy the actual grow.

O

OhBullship

jaimelopez said:
Then they go to Larry's place. But, because of the first raid on the wrong location, Larry knows to get rid of everything incriminating in the real location immediately. That is what is really needed here, to know whether or not Bill telling the cops about the wrong location would give Larry enough time to destroy the actual grow.
I hope the show Cops is filming in your town when this happens. I would LOVE to see your face when your plan falls apart. :eek:

O

OhBullship

And you still need to get off of your pot selling ass and get a real job.

jaimelopez

I do have a job. In fact, I'm fixing to start law school in about a year or so. I know that you assume that I sell pot but I don't. Hopefully the cops will have your same attitude, assuming things that aren't true, and raid my friend's wrong place first to give him time to destroy the grow. I don't know about you but I enjoy having my friends around and would like to help them in any way that I can. I told him that this is risky but he won't listen. He says its easy money and that he doesn't need a real job. So, I'm trying to help him minimize his risk as much as I can. But I think he'll eventually get busted and when that happens I'll hopefully be able to represent him or know someone that can.

Veronica1228

jaimelopez said:
I do have a job. In fact, I'm fixing to start law school in about a year or so. I know that you assume that I sell pot but I don't. Hopefully the cops will have your same attitude, assuming things that aren't true, and raid my friend's wrong place first to give him time to destroy the grow. I don't know about you but I enjoy having my friends around and would like to help them in any way that I can. I told him that this is risky but he won't listen. He says its easy money and that he doesn't need a real job. So, I'm trying to help him minimize his risk as much as I can. But I think he'll eventually get busted and when that happens I'll hopefully be able to represent him or know someone that can.
You know what? You really are dumb. I'm sure you did tell your friend that this is risky, and you were probably sharing a joint at the time, but don't you realize how serious all of this is. Law enforcement is not just going to give you and your friend a pat on the head, say "boys will be boys," and send you on your way. You will be faced with serious drug charges. Both of you.

If you want to keep your friend and yourself around get out of the drug business and convince him to do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">