• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sec. 3701

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Elisedarling

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma
I was issued a ticket for shoplifting in the BX (base exchange) and will appear in court for this in May. Today I recieved a letter from the BX stating amoung other things "Title 31 United Staes Code Section 3701 et. seq., authorizes AAFES to demand in writing that you pay the following actual and administrative costs related to shoplifting, theft detection and theft prevention, as applicable:

a. Actual costs:0.00
b. administrative costs: $200.00
c. total amount demanded $200.00"

I looked up Sec. 3701 and it seems to relate to the collection of established debts and there is nothing reffering to shoplifting, theft, larceny, and/or punitive damages relating to these crimes. I do understand the idea that the court will impose punishment for the criminal offense, and that they are "demanding" civil damages, but their own letter states that I am responsible for "actual and administrative costs" and I believe it is within my rights to request documentation supporting their claim of $200.00 in administrative costs. Furthermore, thier "demand" not not consitute a legal obligation on my part to pay (although I do intend to pay actual costs). Also in the letter they go on to say that thier efforts to collect will not be limited to me, but will also include my husband. Is that legal?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">