• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

URGENT question!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

skale7179

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Illinois

Hi all, Ive posted on this topic before but now new problems have surfaced. My brothers former g/f has recently given birth to their child. She had went through an agency to have the child adopted and my brother filed papers contesting it. He wants to be this childs father. There has been no contact between them, he didnt even know she had had the baby until last night when a mutual friend told him. The mutual friend also said she is avoiding telling my brother because if my brother doesnt contact her within a month of the childs birth she will be free to let someone else adopt it. We need to know if this is true and any advice as to what he should do next would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

djohnson

He needs an attorney and to file for a paternity test immediately. A hold needs to be put on any other legal transactions that are taking place. She can't legal do it with out stating the father or having father sign. He needs representation quickly.

skale7179

She did name him as the father to the agency and they sent him papers (dont remember what they were called) which he had to sign and send back saying he didnt want the baby adopted and that he was the father.

He has moved, just across town, since they were together and hes afraid someone has tried to contact him and couldnt find him.

I will let him know he needs to contact an attorney ASAP, anymore insight into this that you may have would be appreciated as this is all new to us.

Thanks!

A

absconder

Attorney and get a DNA test done. But get a lawyer asap.

djohnson

Does he remember where the letter came from? Does he know the lawyer or attorney handling it? He can always contact them to find out what is going on, although to have an attorney do it would be better. The longer he lets it go on, the harder it is going to be for him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">