• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Assault during a hockey game

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hockeygoalie

What is the name of your state?undefinedWhat is the name of your state? South Carolina

I was playing ice hockey in an adult recreational league and my position is goalie. An opposing player backed into my goalie crease (penalty: goaltender interference), but the official did not stop the play, so I pushed the player out of my crease using my stick to his back (penalty: cross-checking). I did not get close to the players neck or head and did not attempt to hurt him (nor was he injured in any way). The opposing player took offense to my cross-check, turned around, swung his stick in a strong downward manner (a tomahawk chop) onto the top of my head. As I was slightly dazed, he then gave me another two-handed stick shot to my arm. He was rearing back to deliver a third shot to me (at this point I was on the ice on my hands and knees) and my player pushed him away from me. The police were called, a report was filed, but they will not pursue an assault charge because I only suffered a mild concussion and a badly bruised arm (thank goodness for my quality equipment). My question is about civil court. I want to collect damages, and my arguement is how players in the recreation league have "implied consent" towards the rules and infractions of the game. Under this circumstance, I expect players to be in my crease, as well as they expect to be cross-checked by staying there. But, I don't expect to take a head-shot with a hockey stick. Do I have a good arguement, or should I pursue a different defense. Perhaps additional defense? Thank you in advance for your advice.

BelizeBreeze

hockeygoalie said:
What is the name of your state?undefinedWhat is the name of your state? South Carolina

I was playing ice hockey in an adult recreational league and my position is goalie. An opposing player backed into my goalie crease (penalty: goaltender interference), but the official did not stop the play, so I pushed the player out of my crease using my stick to his back (penalty: cross-checking). I did not get close to the players neck or head and did not attempt to hurt him (nor was he injured in any way).
And that was your first mistake. Once a player is in the crease and you raise your stick, you're just like any other player. Next time, use a crossed stick at or below the waist to move his ass out.
hockeygoalie said:
The opposing player took offense to my cross-check, turned around, swung his stick in a strong downward manner (a tomahawk chop) onto the top of my head.
It's called slashing.
hockeygoalie said:
As I was slightly dazed, he then gave me another two-handed stick shot to my arm. He was rearing back to deliver a third shot to me (at this point I was on the ice on my hands and knees) and my player pushed him away from me. The police were called, a report was filed, but they will not pursue an assault charge because I only suffered a mild concussion and a badly bruised arm (thank goodness for my quality equipment).
Quality equipment? That's a matter of opinion.
hockeygoalie said:
My question is about civil court. I want to collect damages, and my arguement is how players in the recreation league have "implied consent" towards the rules and infractions of the game.
O.K. then hire an attorney and prove you had 'damages'. For example, how much was the emergency room bill?
hockeygoalie said:
Under this circumstance, I expect players to be in my crease, as well as they expect to be cross-checked by staying there. But, I don't expect to take a head-shot with a hockey stick.
You've GOT TO BE KIDDING! It's hockey. Legal gang warfare.
hockeygoalie said:
Do I have a good arguement, or should I pursue a different defense. Perhaps additional defense? Thank you in advance for your advice.
Ask the attorney you hire. Since we weren't there and don't know the entire story.

S

seniorjudge

BelizeBreeze said:
Since we weren't there and don't know the entire story.
I was there.

A fight was going on and a hockey game erupted.

A

absconder

I dont know much about hockey but Ido know it can get nasty. Buddy if you cant take it get the HELL off the ice. Let the MEN play the game! :eek:

mydentguy

are you kidding?

I'm not a lawyer, and I don't know about your state, but here in Mass, that's assault and battery, and I would get a lawyer and make the police (state police if need be) file criminal charges. There is a "hockey dad" doing life in this state for beating another dad to death at a kids game. Then take up chess. JMO

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">