• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a right to not be touched?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

futureattorney

What is the name of your state? Indiana

Some of my friends and I are having trouble with one of our vice-principals.
On several occasions he will come up to us to tell us to move on and he puts his hand on our shoulders. When we shrug it off or ask him to stop he says he is going to handcuffs us and take us out of the and he says he has a right to touch us. Does he? And if not what actions should be taken to make him knock it off?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

futureattorney said:

On several occasions he will come up to us to tell us to move on and he puts his hand on our shoulders. When we shrug it off or ask him to stop he says he is going to handcuffs us and take us out of the and he says he has a right to touch us. Does he? And if not what actions should be taken to make him knock it off?

My response:

Belt him in the chops! You have a right to defend yourself if you feel you're in physical danger. Also, what kind of school do you go to that has a principal who carries handcuffs?

IAAL

futureattorney

Not him personally

He himself does not carry handcuffs but there is a police officer in my school.
Also with this principal I am having trouble with discrimination( I think it is ).
Just 3 months before the school year ends ( a couple weeks ago ) he put an uninformed ban on band shirts. We just recieve a stricter dress policy ( put into force at begining of the year ) and NO WHERE in the policy did it say no band shirts. The shirts have nothing wrong on them ( bad words, violence, nudity, drugs, alcohol or inappropriate messages ) yet the principals seem to want to pick on us about it and make us turn them inside out making me feel like an outcast. When me and my friends are the only ones in school with inside out shirts making me feel like i'm marked as a bad kid because of my choice of music. Am I in the wrong? By the way sorry to get off topic of being touched but i feel as they sort of tie in together.. Thank you.

BelizeBreeze

the school has a right to decide dress code policies. Forget this battle and concentrate on the battle worth fighting.

If ANYONE touches you without invitation, especially someone in authority, first tell them, in a voice meant for others to hear, "I have asked you before to stop touching me in an inappropriate manner. If you continue I will defend myself in any manner legally available to me."

then walk off. If he touches you again file assault charges against him (the threat of the handcuffs is enough to substantiate assault).

A

absconder

WOW wish I wouldve known that when my 3rd grade teacher grabbed me by the ear and walked me to the princples office. I shouldve whooped her good, but I dont think my parents wouldve understood me whoopin on a 5 ft nun.

panzertanker

futureattorney said:

Yup. IAAL has the best idea. If he feels the need to touch you, AFTER you have made it clear his touch is not welcome, then you are in fear of harm to your person and you should knock him in the gut or other lower region and see if he likes it!!!! Try the LOUD "stop touching me!!! take your hands off of me!!!" approach in the hallway with witnesses too....

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
And perverse me wants to see the principal following this kid around with a finger an inch away, taunting him with "I'm not touching you-ou-ou!"

BelizeBreeze

stealth2 said:
And perverse me wants to see the principal following this kid around with a finger an inch away, taunting him with "I'm not touching you-ou-ou!"
Well sweetie, that would be funny if they were both children, but as an adult and one who is in a position of authority over the child, it would be assault (the threat of unwanted physical contact).;)

snostar

panzertanker said:
If he feels the need to touch you, AFTER you have made it clear his touch is not welcome, then you are in fear of harm to your person and you should knock him in the gut or other lower region and see if he likes it!!!! Try the LOUD "stop touching me!!! take your hands off of me!!!" approach in the hallway with witnesses too....
Actually the student doesn't have to make it known they do not want to be touched in order for it to be considered inappropriate. Remember the OP is a minor. Just this week in my school district a teacher laid his hands on a student's shoulders, the student reported it, and the teacher submitted his resignation before school closed for the day.

Last edited:

You Are Guilty

Not that it affects the replies already provided, but are both the principal and student here male? If so, I'd certainly report the touching to the police, as I'd bet there are plenty more instances of it that haven't been discovered yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">