• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

If wife take custody of Grandchild .

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DaMann

What is the name of your state? Illinois

I have a weird question,

my step son whom is 16 yrs old, and his girlfriend, also 16 yrs old just had a baby. situation.....

the mother has no stable home enviroment.
her grand mother has legal custody of her.

my wife, who is grandmother of the new born wants to go for offical custody
of the newborn.

question is if she gets custody, am I as her husband legaly responsible for the infant ?

thanks .

How do you presume to "go for" custody?

The child is the legal responsibility of the birth parents and they make all decisions regarding the child. But, if dad has not established paternity, then he has no legal standing until he does. And if he has no legal standing, neither does paternal grandma.

The only right way to "go for" custody is to adopt. But both parents would need to consent to it. And you would have to file jointly with grandma. Sounds like you don't want that.

Should she get "Temporary Custody" of the child, then no, you are not legally responsible for the child, but I see her getting any kind of custody to this child as a long-shot especially without you filing as a couple. And she has to prove to the court why neither parent is fit to raise the child. The other grandparents will of course have a chance to do the same and ask for custody. Temporary Custody is a very dangerous and damaging thing, because one or both of the birth parents will most likely want the child back at some point. That is not good for the child to be used as a pawn like that.

Your wife needs to contact a family law attorney so he/she can tell her basically the same thing I just told you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">