• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Theft / Larceny charge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

IDMT13

What is the name of your state? New York

Here's the situation.

Person 1 and Person 2 were roomates who didn't get along. So person 2 moved out. Over the next several months, Person 1 had several items stolen from his room, including (ID cards, car keys, digital camera, computer mouse, cell phone). Person 1 also has something in the room that would incriminate him, and definitely result in prison time.

Person 3 lives down the hall and is close friends with Person 2. He also, does not get along with Person 1. The other night, Person 3 was accused of telling the police incriminating information about Person 1, but was later apologized to. As it turns out, Person 2 made that phone call.

Two days later, Person 2 was arrested on charges of Theft/Larceny (a Class C (or class 3?) Felony). Person 2 confessed to stealing the mouse and cell phone, on account of Person 1 owing him $90 (which he does). Person 2 was spoken to by the police, told that there is evidence to incriminate him, but was not arrested. Person 1 suspects that Persons 2 and 3 are involved together. Person 3 denies everything, seems to be clueless. Person 2 told the police that Person 3 is not invovled. Person 1 still accuses both.

This is what I'd like to know:

- What are the penalties for a Class C Felony? Fines, jailtime, etc.
- What other charges can Person 1 press?
- What could happen to Person 2 if he's found guilty? Why would the charge not be reduced to petty theft, a misdemeanor?
- Person 3 denies any involvement, but is told there is evidence against him. How likely is Person 3 to be charged with any crime?
- If the accusations placed by Person 1 turn out to be false, do Person 2 and or Person 3 have a case for slander against Person 1?

I apologize for the many questions, but I'd like to know where I stand. I know it's irritating to refer to everyone as "Person #" but it simplifies things.

Help please?

Last edited:

S

seniorjudge

IDMT13 said:
What is the name of your state? New York

Here's the situation.

Person 1 and Person 2 were roomates who didn't get along. So person 2 moved out. Over the next several months, Person 1 had several items stolen from his room, including (ID cards, car keys, digital camera, computer mouse, cell phone). Person 1 also has something in the room that would incriminate him, and definitely result in prison time.

Person 3 lives down the hall and is close friends with Person 2. He also, does not get along with Person 1. The other night, Person 3 was accused of telling the police incriminating information about Person 1, but was later apologized to. As it turns out, Person 2 made that phone call.

Two days later, Person 2 was arrested on charges of Theft/Larceny (a Class C (or class 3?) Felony). Person 2 confessed to stealing the mouse and cell phone, on account of Person 1 owing him $90 (which he does). Person 2 was spoken to by the police, told that there is evidence to incriminate him, but was not arrested. Person 1 suspects that Persons 2 and 3 are involved together. Person 3 denies everything, seems to be clueless. Person 2 told the police that Person 3 is not invovled. Person 1 still accuses both.

This is what I'd like to know:

- What could happen to Person 2 if he's found guilty? Why would the charge not be reduced to petty theft, a misdemeanor?
- Person 3 denies any involvement, but is told there is evidence against him. How likely is Person 3 to be charged with any crime?
- If the accusations placed by Person 1 turn out to be false, do Person 2 and or Person 3 have a case for slander against Person 1?

I apologize for the many questions, but I'd like to know where I stand. I know it's irritating to refer to everyone as "Person #" but it simplifies things.

Help please?

A: Up to 15 years; http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?cl=82&a=18

A: Hypothetical questions; unanswerable.

A: No; info in police reports are not defamatory, even if false.

A

absconder

Some yahoo needs a lawyer, I can stand alot but thieves arent 1 of them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">