• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I dissolve an easement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pjsteele

What is the name of your state? KY

How do I dissolve an easement? My neighbor will never agree to it.

My complaints are non compliance, trespassing, criminal mischief, and more.

My family and my piece of mind thanks you!

A

absconder

If its his easement, good luck if he defends it. His property rights and selling value would diminish. Instead why dont you protect your rights?

BelizeBreeze

pjsteele said:
What is the name of your state? KY

How do I dissolve an easement? My neighbor will never agree to it.

My complaints are non compliance, trespassing, criminal mischief, and more.

My family and my piece of mind thanks you!
Are you the grantor or grantee?

pjsteele

I am not sure. The easement was between him and the prior owner.

The scary thing is that he uses the easement to run mutiple businesses. There are dozens of people going up and down my driveway daily. I fear one of my kids will get hurt.

I'm pretty sure that he cannot use the easment for business use. I am zoned Residential.

Thanks!

RAMIDAZA

How to disolve an easement

I just purchased a house plus a lot next to the house to make one large property, I need to build a car port between the two properties, but I was told by the county that before I have to disolve the easement. Please help me to make this arrangement and how to approach the parties involved.

154NH773

pjsteele,
If the easement was granted to your neighbor by the previous owner of your property, to give your neighbor permanent rights to use the driveway, then you probably (most likely) cannot extinguish it without his permission.

If the wording of the easement has specific language as to what rights your neighbor has, then those are the only ones that he can exercise. If the language is broad or ambiguous, then a court would have to determine what was intended or is reasonable.

If your neighbor is using his property for an illegal use, then the traffic generated by the illegal use would probably be viewed by a court as an undue burden on the easement, and may order the neighbor to cease that use (but probably not all use).

A court has wide latitude in determining what is a reasonable use, but will rarely terminate a use.

We need to know what the exact wording of the easement grant says before giving any specific advice.

RAMIDAZA: Start a new thread, this thread is for discussion of pjsteele's question only.

Last edited:

HuAi

1) Start a separate thread
2) Post all the details you know about the easement (who granted it and to whom), wording of the easement

justalayman

I just purchased a house plus a lot next to the house to make one large property, I need to build a car port between the two properties, but I was told by the county that before I have to disolve the easement. Please help me to make this arrangement and how to approach the parties involved.
what parties. From what you said, you own both properties involved in this.

You also need to start your own thread and provide the explanations asked for.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">