• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ssdi benifit amount

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Summit492

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? MI
I have 2 from the LISTING OF IMPAIRMENTS.
Central nervous system vascular accident. from 3/96 and Parkinsonian syndrome from 7/99. Situation is I haven't worked since 3/96 and just now applied for ssdi. how can I be sure my benifit amount is based on income averaged before 1996 not averaged thru 2005?

BL

Summit492 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? MI
I have 2 from the LISTING OF IMPAIRMENTS.
Central nervous system vascular accident. from 3/96 and Parkinsonian syndrome from 7/99. Situation is I haven't worked since 3/96 and just now applied for ssdi. how can I be sure my benifit amount is based on income averaged before 1996 not averaged thru 2005?
http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/ssa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=487&p_created=975937280&p_sid=5MipI_Ch&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTEzJnBfcHJvZHM9JnBfY2F0cz0mcF9wdj0mcF9jdj0xLjMmcF9wYWdlPTI*&p_li=&p_topview=1

Summit492

Right I qualify with 4 credits x 19yrs = 76 credits. Will SSDI have a term or calculation for adjusting PIA or AMIE to include only pre 3/96 years and wages?

BL

it is your average earnings over your working years that determine how much your monthly payment will be.
That is from the site I posted .
I can't tell you for sure how they calculate it , but as it states , the average from ALL that you earned .

Also be aware in some states you might be eligible for supplemental Security in addition .

Summit492

I think I found an anserw at
link
Using a different example it says ,

-First determine the onset date for the disability.
-Then determine insured status.
-Then count the number of years someone has worked as a "covered individual" beginning with age 22 (8 years in our example).
-For this disability benefit calculation, drop out 1/5 of the 8 years including dropping out any fraction remaining (1 year, in our example).
-This leaves a total of 7 computation years.
-Next index all available earnings to two years before the year the worker becomes disabled.
-Of these indexed earnings, pick the highest 7 years; add the earnings and then divide by the number of months in 7 years (84 months).
-Finally, apply the progressive benefit formula to the resulting Average Income Monthly Earnings (AIME).
-This gives you the person's monthly disability benefit

key being calculations from onset date, right ??

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">