• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What next?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DeRonda

What is the name of your state? NC

My mother was very sick for many years. In order for her property not to be sold incase she had to go to a rest home, she signed the land and house over to all three of her children. That was in June of 2002. She passed away in October of 2005, leaving a will. In the will she left me, the youngest child, the house and one acre. She left the other two children equal amounts of the remaining land, and a life insurance policy, each. Now I have been told that the house can not be mine because she gave the land away before she passed away, so it wasn't her's to give in the will. My brother and sister have tried many things to get me to leave the house my mother wanted me to have. They currently have locks on a couple of my door. Is there any way around this, or is there any ideas I could use to get them to let me have the house.

divgradcurl

DeRonda said:
What is the name of your state? NC

My mother was very sick for many years. In order for her property not to be sold incase she had to go to a rest home, she signed the land and house over to all three of her children. That was in June of 2002. She passed away in October of 2005, leaving a will. In the will she left me, the youngest child, the house and one acre. She left the other two children equal amounts of the remaining land, and a life insurance policy, each. Now I have been told that the house can not be mine because she gave the land away before she passed away, so it wasn't her's to give in the will. My brother and sister have tried many things to get me to leave the house my mother wanted me to have. They currently have locks on a couple of my door. Is there any way around this, or is there any ideas I could use to get them to let me have the house.
Well, if the threeof you now own the house and land, they can't keep you out of the house -- you are an owner -- but, them again, you can't really keep them out either -- if you do keep them out, they are entitled to rent. About the only way you can keep the house without them interfering is to buy out their shares in the property.

And you were told correctly -- once Mom deeded the house to the three kids, she didn't have anything left to will to them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">