• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Misdemeanor Extradition

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lifechange05

What is the name of your state? North Carolina/South Carolina

Hello,

Two years ago I was arrested in South Carolina while riding in a car that had heroin in it. I was convicted of "accessory to felony drug possession", a misdemeanor. I was given a suspended sentence of 1 year, pending on 3 years of zero-tolerance probation. At the time I did not have the money to pay the supervision costs and knowing myself, feared that I would violate the stringent terms of my probation, so I did not follow up on the probation and returned to North Carolina. I realize that there is no excuse for my irresponsible actions, but I have made drastic lifestyle changes, (marriage and child), and worry constantly about extradition if I am pulled over, etc.

Can anyone advise me of South Carolina's policies regarding misdemeanor extradition? Also, I was told that the conviction would be expunged after five years...is this only in the case of compliance with my sentence or will it happen anyhow?

Thank you in advance for any replies!

Lifechange05 said:
What is the name of your state? North Carolina/South Carolina

Hello,

Two years ago I was arrested in South Carolina while riding in a car that had heroin in it. I was convicted of "accessory to felony drug possession", a misdemeanor. I was given a suspended sentence of 1 year, pending on 3 years of zero-tolerance probation. At the time I did not have the money to pay the supervision costs and knowing myself, feared that I would violate the stringent terms of my probation, so I did not follow up on the probation and returned to North Carolina. I realize that there is no excuse for my irresponsible actions, but I have made drastic lifestyle changes, (marriage and child), and worry constantly about extradition if I am pulled over, etc.

Can anyone advise me of South Carolina's policies regarding misdemeanor extradition? Also, I was told that the conviction would be expunged after five years...is this only in the case of compliance with my sentence or will it happen anyhow?

Thank you in advance for any replies!
The states generally do not extradite those with misdemeanours, but they can if they want, but it costs lots of money to extradiate. It was usually for those with felony convictions. And the expungement will only occur AFTER YOU ARE DONE WITH UR SENTENCE.

- Tom

Lifechange05

Thanks, Tom. That does ease my mind some.

Incidentally, does anyone know what class of misdemeanor "accessory to felony drug possession" is?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">