• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need quitclaim deed info...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

diddlenrex

What is the name of your state? Idaho

On March 20th I was involved in a car accident. I had no insurance, we just couldn't afford it. My son and the other driver were killed. The other driver had two children with him who thankfully survived. I also was injured and am still in a wheelchair. The accident was my fault, I did not see a stop sign. No drugs, alcohol, or speeding was involved on either side. I learned today from the other family's insurance company that they have begun to seek legal council. I cannot blame them for that. My husband is very worried about the house. He and I are both on disability and have two other children at home. I know that we could lose everything. The guilt is eating me alive. My husband immediately went down and filed a homestead act, but is now talking about doing a quitclaim deed. He wants me to sign the house over to him. I told him that wouldn't work because this is a community property state and that if we were to do that we should sign it over to a family member. I have searched the internet for information, but am not getting very far. Can anyone offer me any advice in this matter. This is a horrible situation and I feel so badly for the other family, but I also have to think about mine. This house is all we have. Thank you for your time and patience.

divgradcurl

diddlenrex said:
What is the name of your state? Idaho

On March 20th I was involved in a car accident. I had no insurance, we just couldn't afford it. My son and the other driver were killed. The other driver had two children with him who thankfully survived. I also was injured and am still in a wheelchair. The accident was my fault, I did not see a stop sign. No drugs, alcohol, or speeding was involved on either side. I learned today from the other family's insurance company that they have begun to seek legal council. I cannot blame them for that. My husband is very worried about the house. He and I are both on disability and have two other children at home. I know that we could lose everything. The guilt is eating me alive. My husband immediately went down and filed a homestead act, but is now talking about doing a quitclaim deed. He wants me to sign the house over to him. I told him that wouldn't work because this is a community property state and that if we were to do that we should sign it over to a family member. I have searched the internet for information, but am not getting very far. Can anyone offer me any advice in this matter. This is a horrible situation and I feel so badly for the other family, but I also have to think about mine. This house is all we have. Thank you for your time and patience.
Unfortunately, it is really too late to do anything about the house. Even if you did quit-claim it away now, the courts could (and in all likelihood would) invalidate the transfer on the grounds that it was fraudulent, and an attempt to shield assets. You need to just see what happens, and try and work things out for the best. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">