• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Problems with neighbor and now HOA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

usmcwife

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?VA
I will try to make this as short as possible. I have a neighbor who does not like me. I have a Beagle who is very young and when we first got him I woulod be the first to say he had a howling issue. His howling was very annoying and we have taken him to classes, bought all the books and quite honestly feel we now have the situation under control. He will still bark if there are strangers behind our home (we back to a woodline) or if there is someone in our yard or a loose pet but his prolonged howl for no reason has stopped. She on the other hand has gotten worse, filing complaint after complaint with our HOA and even going so far as to ask other neighbors to email the HOA stating that they can hear the dog (these neighbors told us they were asked to send an email saying they have heard the dog before..but that the dog did not bother them and that there email was not meant as a 2nd compaint) Now my HOA is saying I have to put a shock collar on my dog and would not even allow me to defend myself against the complaint. In fact I have witnesses who were at there homes, and at my house on one day in particular that she complained and he barked 3 times ( not 3 spells but 3 total barks) once when there was a kid at my tree line and twice at another neighbor taking her dog out, oh I also have pictures of her that day playing with her kids and my dog in the picture laying down facing the opposite direction. I am at a loss as to what tt do next. We have worked very hard with the dog to stop the barking and it has worked but now I am being told I have to put a shock collar on my dog or get rid of him. I want my dog to bark when there is someone that doesn't belong here and with a shock collar he won't be able to..Not only that but unless my HOA is willing to put one on and test it I don't see how they can force me to put it on my dog regardless of how humane they feel it is!!!!!!!!! I am just angry and wondering what my options are and what to do next?????

Greg 2

First, let me thank you for your sacrifice as a wife of a USMC. It is a tough job.

Now, for the straight answer to your problem. Ready?

If you love your dog, get rid of it. Howling to a beagle is as natural as breathing is to us. You chose the wrong type of dog. Imagine, for a minute that someone sent your husband [who I assume is the USMC member-forgive me if I have this wrong] to a....a...[how would a liberal put it?]...'Loving, Nice and Careing School'. He was no longer from this minute forward, allowed to do any Marine things, only demonstrate 'Nice' and 'Gentle as a Lamb" actions-24/7. Even at home/club, facing the enemy.

I'm don't think you would like him very much-well, maybe until the new wore off :>) , and I know sure as hell, he would be miserable.

The HOA? Morals aside, you were the one who moved into their theater and agreed to their rules. Don't like 'em, move or comply- much like the USMC.

usmcwife

I am assuming I didn't explain this correctly. My Beagle is not howling. After a year of non stop classes and work we are past that. My problem and I have witnesses is that my neighbor is not only exagerating but flat out lying and my HOA will not allow us to present our case. She has filed complaints on days that my dog is not even home!!!!! How can he being nusance barking if I can prove on those occasions (witnesses and video) he either did not bark at all (video of this day) and on another he was not even home (receipts timestamped form the groomer) My problem is not the dog or the rules, I undertsnad and respect them. My problem is in not being allowed the opportunity to prove they are false complaints!!!!!!!!!

crowbone

I don't think the HOA has any standing to enforce it's "shock collar" stipulation. It was probably intended as a "suggestion".

You will probably have your opportunity to put your case before someone when fido keeps barking, howling, playing the banjo at odd hours or whatever it is that he does that the neighbor finds offensive.

usmcwife

Ok here is the part that really has me upset and I am unsure of what to do. My neighbor has filed several complaints over the last month, 8-10 via email and 10-12 over the phone but the HOA will not allow me acess to the complaints. I have asked for dates and times, copies (with sensitive material blacked of course) or even just the jist of the complaints. They refuse to let me have any of that information. My dog goes with me to pet smart, to the groomers, and parks. If I had at least the dates and times I may be able to prove (reciepts, pictures, witness statements) the complaints are untrue but they will not afford me the opportunity to do this. In fact 3 of he board members have come to me and said they don't believe this issue really has anything to do with the dog. Why then would they still recommend a shock collar to punish my dog??? I am so upset with the way my HOA is handling this complaint and I just don't know what to do anymore.

FarmerJ

In all of the documents / restrictions & covenents for the home owners association is there any language that gives them the right to regulate pets/animals of homes under the hoa ? carefully review the HOAs rules and if there is any part of them that you do not clearly understand then go see a Real estate atty who is familiar with HOAs and have her/him review your docs and give you a opinion . IF the atty finds nothing that gives them the right to require pet collars that give shocks then you need to become involved in your HOA to see to it that they stick to the rules and be a constant pain in the side to them or better yet run for the HOA board next time there is the chance to and be a part of keeping them from straying from the things they cannot regulate .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">