• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Searched home, no warrant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kottonmouth_420

What is the name of your state? Iowa

Alright, so last night I was at a friend's house and we were smoking. Right before we started another bowl a police officer shows up. He's in all street clothes wearing his badge underneath his clothes. He also drove to the apartment in a civilian car. He went to my friends door knocked and told him that it was the police department. When he looked through the peep hole he saw that it was. So my friend, my g/f and I went out the back door to our apartment next door while my other friend let's call him J was in his apartment. He answered the door, went out into the hall and asked the cop what was going on. He told him that it was in his best interest that he come in. Everything was put away before they came in. So they had no line of site to see anything in there. The officer told him that apparently he sold someone some bad pot and that they were going to come after him. While my friend never has sold pot. So the officer and his partner tell him that they are going to check the house to make sure that nobody comes out and stabs them. So the officers check their bedroom where they keep their water pipe, it's about 3ft. The officer then asks my friend if he can search the rest of the house since he found the bong already. Naturally he said no. My question is did that seem like they legally obtained that paraphenalia. They were not invited into the house. They basically told him that there was danger and that he needed to know. Which sounds like BS. Is there anything he can do to take action against our corrupt police department. He wasn't arrested for it, as in Iowa it's a simple misdemeanor. I know that our PD is corrupt because I know some of the things that many of our police officers are involved in. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

CdwJava

Let me get this straight ... the cops are "corrupt" because they come to the door, ask to do a protective sweep of the apartment, find a bong, and then have the audacity to ask to search the apartment because they already found evidence of drug use? Oh, not to mention I am SURE they could smell the previous "bowl" wafting through the air.

While they cannot generally use deception to gain consent for a search, if they had some articulable reason to fear for their safety or to enter the apartment they might be able to justify a protective sweep of the premises ... and if they heard feet shuffling and doors slamming as people were bailing out the back, it might be enough to give them some concern ... and, again, the smell of pot was wafting in the air.

And at this point it is his word against the word of two police officers that he did or did not give consent for them to enter. If he has been charged, he needs to speak to an attorney.

This is the kind of thing that happens when people smoke dope.

- Carl

Kottonmouth_420

Enough with the jackasses

Here's where you made a mistake. First you assumed that I meant that night they corrupt. They are corrupt because I know many cops in this city that don't follow the laws as they should. I've been given a ticket for something a cop couldn't prove that I did. That night he lied and said that I had driven past him twice and I only drove down the street that he pulled me over on once. He's a ****ing liar. Two, **** you for saying that marijuana caused this problem. Just because some people like a drug that happens to be wrongfully made illegal by *******s like you. How many mother****ers get in a car and kill someone because that got drunk and drove. How many people wake up in a place that they don't even know how they got there from alcohol. So pardon me if I believe that a drug that causes no harm besides possibly to your lungs shouldn't be so damn bad. I was trying to be nice in my last post but you pissed me the **** off. The ****ing cop lied to get into the apartment. He told him that there was danger to my friend J. There is NONE. So don't take your mother****ing high and mighty stand with me ******* I won't put up with your ****. I will find where you live hunt you down and kill you. All I wanted to know is if the cops can really make **** up to come into your apartment and search the place. Yes we did go out the back, but if that's what happened, who was hiding in the CLOSET for them to find the bong. Yeah I'm sure that they could smell the pot and if you would have read my post better they never searched his apartment. They took his no and left it. But that doesn't seem right for them to be able to just go ahead and walk around the apartment and search when they were the ones who invited themselves in. Nobody asked for them to be there. People like you make me sick, because you think that your better than everyone else. So I break the law. The cops in this city constantly break the law. I've watched them abuse their power one to many times. Using their flashers to run red lights, speeding in excess of 10 over the posted speed limit (no flashers). I'm sick of it, I swear to everything holy that it's people like you that have taken the freedom of people in this country an have begun to turn our country into a fully regulated place. Next on the list is mandatory drug testing of all citizens. How's that for a violation of your privacy *******. Don't ever presume that you've got the answers again, people like you make me sick. You're a bad person with an ugly heart. You've got no compassion for your fellow man and you will burn in hell.

quepasa

If your friend has not been charged he should file a complaint against the officer/s in question if, after some research, he finds that his civil rights have been violated.

It has been my experience on this site that there are a lot of people on this site who will criticize you for even smoking the dope.

Having been where you are, it is best to give up this habit as it will only lead to trouble. Even a nickel bag of marijuana will lead to an arrest. It's not worth the trouble or the expense of bail and a lawyer fees not to mention the loss of time spent worrying and in court.

ENASNI

Holy Moly And His Cousin Crimoly

I was dealing with cockaroaches in the real estate section, but they are really crawling out of the woodwork here!

Carl is the most non-judgemental person around here, and does everything he can to make sure he gives non-bias answers to questions.

If anyone is going to burn in hell, it will be the one who falls asleep with a burning joint because they are too high to wake up and smell the fire.

CdwJava

Kottonmouth_420 said:
Here's where you made a mistake. First you assumed that I meant that night they corrupt. They are corrupt because I know many cops in this city that don't follow the laws as they should.
No, I caught your inference. Obviously, I have no idea whether that's true or not, but I DO know that very often that perception is wrong. I hear stories about what our officers are involved in and they are blatantly false. But, rumors, innuendo, and perceptions play a very large part in many people's thinking.

**** you for saying that marijuana caused this problem.
First off, stop being such a foul-mouthed little child. It shows you maturity level.

Second, had there been no marijuana use this incident would not have happened.

Ergo, you tell me - what caused it?

Just because some people like a drug that happens to be wrongfully made illegal by *******s like you.
There's that foul mouth again ...

"Wrongfully" made illegal? Hmm ... silly me, I presumed the law was passed by the legislature and not just slipped into the code book in the dead of night by some vandal.

And I didn't make it illegal. It has been illegal since way back when I was a child.

How many mother****ers get in a car and kill someone because that got drunk and drove.
If you are truly curious there are dozens of resources on the internet to get that information.

How many people wake up in a place that they don't even know how they got there from alcohol.
Probably almost as many that wake up from a drug-induced stupor and ask themself the same question.

Your point?

So pardon me if I believe that a drug that causes no harm besides possibly to your lungs shouldn't be so damn bad.
"Causes no harm"? What medical journal did you get THAT laughable idea from?

I was trying to be nice in my last post but you pissed me the **** off.
And you have demonstrated how immature you really are. I suppose it's a result of the marijuana ... or simply bad social skills.

The ****ing cop lied to get into the apartment. He told him that there was danger to my friend J. There is NONE.
You don't know WHAT was said - you weren't there. You also don't know what the officers had been told, what they believed at the time of the contact, why they were there, or what they saw or smelled. It's never a good idea to pretend to read their mind or anyone else's.

So don't take your mother****ing high and mighty stand with me ******* I won't put up with your ****.
Wow! This may be a record for obscenity in a single posting!

I will find where you live hunt you down and kill you.
Good thing I don't believe you, or that would be a felony. And since you smoke dope, I'm not too worried that you could form the requisite intent or coherent thought process long enough to find me.

All I wanted to know is if the cops can really make **** up to come into your apartment and search the place.
And the answer was, "No." They can't make it up. But you don't know WHY they were there or even why they made entry. And if your friend wants to know he can get an attorney and get a copy of the police report.

People like you make me sick, because you think that your better than everyone else.
Nope. Actually, I don't. There you go with that mind reading trick again.

The cops in this city constantly break the law.
So YOU say.

I've watched them abuse their power one to many times. Using their flashers to run red lights, speeding in excess of 10 over the posted speed limit (no flashers).
Then report them to their supervisors. Depending on the laws in your state this may not be illegal at all. So if this is the extent of the "corruption" you see, then maybe you'd better sober up.

Next on the list is mandatory drug testing of all citizens. How's that for a violation of your privacy *******.
Haven't seen that one proposed anywhere. And if your mind reading were truly working you'd know I would not support that.

Don't ever presume that you've got the answers again, people like you make me sick.
I never said I had all the answers. And if you're getting sick, maybe it's some of the carcinogens from that stuff you smoke.

You're a bad person with an ugly heart. You've got no compassion for your fellow man and you will burn in hell.
I doubt it. I'm saved, thank you. And you have no way of knowing what is in my heart, though I can assure you that you are WAY off on your assessment of my compassion.

Now, go spark one up ... and enjoy next Wednesday!

- Carl

quepasa

Java if you were saved you would not tell this person to go smoke another joint.
Why not tell someone the error of their ways and move on. You are rubbing it in just a tad. This person is looking for answers. Ofcourse he was wrong for even being in possession of the drugs but why not give him the answer to his question and move on.
I don't think that this person has to be talked to in such a manner.

ENASNI

yo

He did get the answer quepasa... in Carls first post then came back with potty mouth, Carl has every right to come back with a rebuttal, and in my opinion did it with a heck of a lot of class.
Go smoke another joint yourself, make sure you don't shoot yourself with your unlicensed handgun though...
I am not sure if I am saved or not... Jesus is busy talking with the Pope right now, he said he would get back to me later.

CdwJava

quepasa said:
Java if you were saved you would not tell this person to go smoke another joint.
Well, I am and I did. Besides, what I tell him won't change his mind anyway. He was going to do it or not do it as he sees fit - not whether I approve or not.

Why not tell someone the error of their ways and move on. You are rubbing it in just a tad.
Just as a child must sometimes be scolded, so must the occasional adult. When someone uses such foul, insulting, and derogatory language, one should have the skin thick enough to suck up the response.

My initial reply did not deserve his foul-mouthed response, and my response to his was quite tame compared to many in this forum and elsewhere.

This person is looking for answers. Ofcourse he was wrong for even being in possession of the drugs but why not give him the answer to his question and move on.
I did.

I don't think that this person has to be talked to in such a manner.
And I think he does. Apparently nobody else has bothered to tell it to him.

As with my children, I am less concerned with his self-esteem and how he "feels" than I am with good manners and behavior. And when someone demonstrates a lack of civility and good manners, sometimes they must be shocked back in to reality ... not that I presume for even one moment that he would heed anything I have to say.

And next Wednesday is a day of "worship" for pot smokers nation wide ... 4/20 (as in his username) ... it also happens to be an auspicious day for N-A-Z-I s (had to spell it out because it is apparently a bad word here) and for militia right wing whackos for other reasons ... it is a fun day. :cool:

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">