• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Title question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dmd1011

What is the name of your state? Michigan

After my grandparents died, they left their cottage in Ontario, Canada to my mother and her sister. My husband and I bought out my aunt's portion several years ago (1999) and had the title changed. As the title stands now, my (divorced since 1957) mother and I (with my husband) own it 50/50 as Joint Tenants in Common. My mother has since remarried about 2.5 years ago. It is my understanding that should she pass away, her half of this cottage would belong to her trust (and I assume my stepfather is the executor of the trust). In approximately 2001, my mother indicated that she was going to "sign off" on the property but has yet to do so. I want to protect myself and my children and do not particularly trust this man. What I would like to know is do I need this titled over to my husband and myself or would Joint Tenants with Right of Survivorship suffice? Can my mother *simply* sign it over to me in writing? Can she change the terms of the title with a handwritten letter, being mentally sound? I think I know the answer but just looking for some thoughts. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">