• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

assaulted

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

deegee19

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Missouri

I was assaulted at a party at someone's house 6 months ago. No attorney will take my case as the person who assaulted me has no assests. I recently learned he is in the process of purchasing a house. When that purchase is made, will I then have the ability to file suit against this person with an attorney who works on contingency? What about the person who owns the house where this took place? Is there any liability on his part? Can I file suit against either person or am I out of luck?

jity

deegee19 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Missouri

I was assaulted at a party at someone's house 6 months ago. No attorney will take my case as the person who assaulted me has no assests. I recently learned he is in the process of purchasing a house. When that purchase is made, will I then have the ability to file suit against this person with an attorney who works on contingency? What about the person who owns the house where this took place? Is there any liability on his part? Can I file suit against either person or am I out of luck?
Was he charged with assault?
Do you have witnesses?
Did you seek medical care?

In other words, what are your damages?

deegee19

yes, he was charged criminally with assault, that case is still proceeding. there is one witness. i was immediately taken to the hospital for medical treatment for facial fractures in my nose and eye socket. a few weeks later i had to have the eye socket surgically repaired. there's vision damage and immeasurable amounts of mental suffering.

deegee19

we were at a party when i saw a guy who was a friend of a friend. i knew him also. later in the night when the two of us and one other person were alone in the front yard, he started to voice some negative opinions about me. i had always been friends with the guy so i was confused. eventually i was annoyed and asked if this was a joke or if i really did something to him that he took offense to. the third party tried to intervene and i agreed that the discussion was stupid and pointless. i started to walk away. the next thing i knew i was on my hands and knees with both eyes swollen shut and blood pouring from my face. he must have run up from behind me but i don't remember the initial blow. then he ran away. he later admitted to someone that after he first knocked me down he thought i would get back up and retaliate so he continued to pound on me to keep this from happening.

jity

What date did this happen? If it happened recently, it's okay you still have time for a lawsuit. I would suggest that you write a statement, sign and date to the facts of the story, include any witnesses (name, address, phone number). You should also find out what happened with the criminal charges. While you don't have to wait, it helps to prove your damages in a civil trial.

deegee19

this was on halloween 2004. i have 2 years from the date of the incident to file a suit. the only problem is finding a lawyer who will take the case on contingency. i just don't know if this person buys a house within that time frame, with insurance of course, will i be able to go after those new assets. i also don't know if the homeowner where this took place is responsible in any way.

AnneY460

I have a similar situation and was trying to read the replies to your post to see if you've gotten any good advice, but was unable to access them. Have you been given any good news?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">