• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my rights raising emu

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sheashack

about a year ago I took over the care and feeding of apx. 60 EMU. I have some bad neighbors back on that side of the property who have killed several of them.... then have turned me in for neglect to the animal control. One officer does not know very much on emu and has written in his notes several statements incorrectly. I have invested several thousand dollars into feeding them in the past year to get the quantity of meat for butchering and not to have them removed from me to loose it all and be fined. The birds are healthy. They may not have the desired amount of FAT for refining to oil, but I never had that intent to do so. I have contacted several people from the American EMU association who usually get 25lb meat from their bird, mine closer to 50lb. They agree I am doing something right for the meat.
Can anyone suggest any laws to keep the emu from being taken from me? thank you... Shannon

ENASNI

um

So was it a warning?... Did it list what you need to change? Do you truly have the expertise to take care of these birds? If you have the information that proves you are doing the right thing, you can bring that in to the courthouse, if that is what is going to have to happen.
Give more info on what the officer gave you and why you think you are going to lose the birds...

S

seniorjudge

ENASNI said:
So was it a warning?... Did it list what you need to change? Do you truly have the expertise to take care of these birds? If you have the information that proves you are doing the right thing, you can bring that in to the courthouse, if that is what is going to have to happen.
Give more info on what the officer gave you and why you think you are going to lose the birds...
delete your post
op didn't put his state in
do this immediately
or we will send an emu to eat your mimosa

sheashack

Keeping My Emu

ENASNI said:
I had stated it in my title... as I said the neighbors are not all that good and some of them coming out of prison have trespassed onto the property and shot, killed with a large knife, several EMU and 3 ostrich. the feeders for the birds allow apx. 2-3 weeks worth of food water on a drip system. Usually the teenagers in my foster care would request to check the birds on a daily basis. This is documented by the SOCIAL WORKER. This was when they would kill and claim nobody was feeding, but we were checking them daily. The emu had finished the 5 day supply of food as expected. My truck load 5.5 tons thats 11000 LB was being delivered while the Animal control officer was on my porch talking to me. He had not examined the birds to see 3 were shot at close range. Only one he saw and admitted was attacked by a large dog. I do not claim to be an expert but with the research I have done and contacts made to several Board of Directors in the AMERICAN EMU ASSOCIATION as well as breeders across the country, the food I supply is fine and doing well to produce the quantity of meat (only) that they all would desire. The control Officer admits to not knowing much on this bird but still will not back off. He does not know the PECKING ORDER with all animals and and the different types of food you can feed besides EMU FOOD in a bag. He charged with neglete. I have a breeder statement comparing what they looked like before I took over till today. THEY LOOK GOOD! Not stressed, no feather loss (except on one) not under weight. Like I asked.. I need help and probably by and attorney. Please respond...

sheashack

48 hour removal or respond (dated incorrectly)

I did respond and went to the hearing... he wrote my statements in his notes wrong, he wrote them later after he left. Real officers will take notes during the conversation and verify before they leave. Birds can die from many reasons but one was attacked by a large dog while the three were shot. At that time I was not current with regulations on the killing of animals by a bad neighbor. If the Sheriff can prove his guilt...he will do time. And here's the thing... if a dog had killed an emu ... why couldn't this neighbor give me a call so I could remove it... why turn me in? Why shoot them? claiming they attack him and bite him... WAIT !!! He must have been on my property... no they do not bite.. but he said that they have bit him.I have never been attacked by an emu or bitten. They have not determined their removal yet... they will let me know. sacramento county california

Last edited:

ENASNI

Whoa

Paragraphs my friend paragrahs!

Jeesh you got me in trouble with Da Judge! Why did you wait till your last post to tell us where you are.
So California mine own sweet home.. (but Sacramento... ew)
Better get a lawyer that is not bird-brained.. or maybe that is... This is way over my little head.. gotta go outside now and build a fence around my tree... and keep my eye look out for a big ugly bird... my rat terrier will be no match for it... :eek:

Happy Trails

sheashack said:
I did respond and went to the hearing... he wrote my statements in his notes wrong, he wrote them later after he left. Real officers will take notes during the conversation and verify before they leave. Birds can die from many reasons but one was attacked by a large dog while the three were shot. At that time I was not current with regulations on the killing of animals by a bad neighbor. If the Sheriff can prove his guilt...he will do time. And here's the thing... if a dog had killed an emu ... why couldn't this neighbor give me a call so I could remove it... why turn me in? Why shoot them? claiming they attack him and bite him... WAIT !!! He must have been on my property... no they do not bite.. but he said that they have bit him.I have never been attacked by an emu or bitten. They have not determined their removal yet... they will let me know. sacramento county california
They may not bite but they do peck at shiny objects (buttons, earrings, rings, shiny fingernail polish, badges etc....) which could result in a good pinch.

You evidently weren't wearing something like this or you would have found out it is their instinct to try and get it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">