• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Courts made a booboo

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shelly_cleo46

What is the name of your state?Utah

:confused: Bear with me this ones a bit drawn out...About 3 years ago I was arrested for possession of marijuana. I was fined 250 dollars which I paid off over a year ago and suffered a 6 month driving suspension. In January of this year I was pulled over and warned of a warrant from this offense but let go. I immediately contacted :confused: the courthouse and spoke with a woman who said it would be taken care of because there were no remaining debts. About 3 weeks ago I was pulled over for what I believed to be a "Profile Pullover" on a Thursday night near a busy night club in Ogden. I was totally honest with the officer, he asked if i had been drinking, I said yes about an hour ago I had one, I blew a .02-true.
What I thought would be a speeding ticket turned into me being cuffed over the back of my car, totally humiliated and in shock. I was treated like a criminal, which I am not. He searched my car without my permission and found in the glove compartment some marijuana cigarette papers with residue on them and a stem, no drugs though. Unfortunately for me I am a good friend to many and my friends have constant access and use of my car, until now. I now know who the paraphanalia belonged to for which I am being charged for. I spent the night in jail and my grandmother bailed me out $172 cash only, $520 bondable, another humilation even though she too knew I had taken care of the warrant issue. So I get a call a few days later from a woman at the Tooele county courthouse saying "We just recieved warrant money from you but I just looked at your file and there should not have been a warrant in your name so we're going to send you a check in that amount (172). DUH!!!! I knew that, but I spent a night in jail anyway. Not right. So was the search valid if the warrant was not? I had her fax me my file and its all there in black and white. What do I do, I am a full time student majoring in edu anf really cant afford anything, I already forked out $80 I'll never get back for the bondsman. :mad: :confused: :rolleyes:

JETX

shelly_cleo46 said:
So was the search valid if the warrant was not?
That would depend largely on ALL the facts, but it is likely that the search was valid, as it was very likely incident to the stop.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">