• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SSI Denial

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BulletN

What is the name of your state? Calif

My son was born without a right foot. He is now 19yrs old and has been wearing a prostesis all his life. We've applied for SSI at least three times, all of which have been denied. He has a life time disability. Why is he continually being denied? Also, if or how we can appeal this. :confused:

Last edited:

BL

BulletN said:
What is the name of your state? Calif

My son was born without a right foot. He is now 19yrs old and has been wearing a prostesis all his life. We've applied for SSI at least three times, all of which have been denied. He has a life time disability. Why is he continually being denied? Also, if or how we can appeal this. :confused:
He is being denied , because ( if his missing foot is the only handicap ) , it is not enough .

Apparently SSA has determined there is Employment your son is capable of doing available in the USA .
There is also vocational schools,etc.

There are many people with handicaps that have gainful Employment .

The decisions should have explained it all.

If you are really bent on pursuing this consult an SSI attorney for free.
If he/she thinks he can win an appeal , he/she will take the case. If not they won't .

BulletN

For not knowing all the circumstances related to my sons health, you sure made a quick assumption. And your little quote at the end rude very rude!

BL

BulletN said:
For not knowing all the circumstances related to my sons health, you sure made a quick assumption. And your little quote at the end rude very rude!
The only circumstance you posted was that your son was born w/o a foot and wears prosthetics , and that SSA has denied benefits 3 times .

I based my reply on that information only .
There are many wheelchair bound individuals that hold a full time job , that are not receiving SSI or SSDI benefits.
There are many handicapped individuals that compete in handicap sports .

I gave you a straight answer based on what you posted , and I also gave you advice with regard to a FREE consult w/ an SSI attorney .

My quote also holds true . If it don't fit disregard it .

SSI for your son

I won't assume anything because I'm sure there is more to this than you've stated. If you don't have an attorney to represent your case, then by all means contact one to see if they can help you.

While I think the guy who posted to you is an arrogant jerk for his "quote" at the end, he probably is correct about why they are denying benefits. If SSI thinks your son can find gainful employment without needing use of his foot, they probably will deny this as a handicap. But with an attorney, you stand better chances of arguing your case and appealing the decision. Most will take a percentage...I think it's around 25% of the back pay...dating back to the first time you filed for SSI. But if it provides benefits, it may be worth it. Most will also discuss your case for free and only take the case if they feel they can win.

As for quotes, here's mine to the fool above.

"It's always best to be underestimated by a loser. That way you have your opponent at an immediate disadvantage."

BL

airesflora said:
I won't assume anything because I'm sure there is more to this than you've stated. If you don't have an attorney to represent your case, then by all means contact one to see if they can help you.

While I think the guy who posted to you is an arrogant jerk for his "quote" at the end, he probably is correct about why they are denying benefits. If SSI thinks your son can find gainful employment without needing use of his foot, they probably will deny this as a handicap. But with an attorney, you stand better chances of arguing your case and appealing the decision. Most will take a percentage...I think it's around 25% of the back pay...dating back to the first time you filed for SSI. But if it provides benefits, it may be worth it. Most will also discuss your case for free and only take the case if they feel they can win.

As for quotes, here's mine to the fool above.

"It's always best to be underestimated by a loser. That way you have your opponent at an immediate disadvantage."
I'm gonna round up :D Stealth and Breeze ..........

Impatiens

If your son IS able to perform any of the thousands of jobs that do not require a right foot, all I can say is...this is a pathetic waste of time for SSDI who have so many ligitimate claims to evaluate. If there are other circumstances and he ligitimately is disabled, then I apologise and hope you get legal assistance.

BulletN,
Just because your son has no right foot doesn't mean that he is able to get SSI.. Sorry but it's people like you who make it diffcult to apply for SSI, and to get decent amount per a month. As for health... why dont you explain his health... or wait maybe I should explain all the crap that i went thri most of my life? lets see whos more qualified..

goincrayzee

I agree.. and don't

I've read all the posts responding to the dilemma of your son that have been so negative. I can understand your frustration. BUT
You're Son is a young man who has MANY, MANY, other abilities that don't require the use of a right foot... does he not? I bet he's an extremely bright young man with a bright future that doesn't include being the next great dancer of the century. I'm sure his feet don't "make" HIM.

Why not help him function in the real world instead of fight for disability benefits? I'm not sure why you are doing this for your 19 year old who should be out in the work force.. learning his way (minus a foot OR not!)

Just my opinion.. I know.... everyone has one.

depending on SSI too much isn't healthy for you... I hope within the next few months I can create my own online busniess and hopefully get some decent amount of money each week and hopefully I can get off of SSI.

Having no right foot doesn't mean you are disabled... theirs plenty of jobs that you can have that doesn't require walking around, for an example somebody in an office answering phone calls.. Or working at a ISP and helping people solve their problems.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">