• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Misdemeanor Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CHANGED4BETTER

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

I basicly had a mental breakdown when my wife left me and went on a major cocaine binge. I wrote some bad checks and rented a piece of equipment I never returned. Right now, I have four misdemeneanors in WI:
3 counts of Issuing worthless checks
1 theft-written lease

Two questions.
1)I would like to make restitution to the people I wrote the bad checks to and need to know the best way to do that.
2)I am currently out of the state and want to know what WI extradition policy is. I plan on going back to WI to resolve the warrents, but not until after I have paid restitution. When I was younger, I was incarcerated for two years and do not want to go back to prison. Does WI post it's misdemeanor warrents to all 50 states? I have since remarried and have a child on the way and desperately want this off my head and resolved. I'm terrified of being pulled over or stopped for something and going back to jail.

Thank you.

ptlmejo

For starters, you said they were misdemeanor counts and not felony. In that case, you could face jail time, however, not prison time.

As far as the restitution is concerned, I wouldn't pay by personal check if I were you. I'd get a cashier's check and send it certified mail with signature confirmation. That way, you have proof that it was mailed and will get there and also the name of the person who accepted it. I doubt that will negate the actions you have taken thus far, but it certainly won't hurt your case any.

As far as extradition goes, it's a case by case basis, however, normally on misdemeanor warrants, it's in-state pickup only.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">