• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Property line dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tlholder

What is the name of your state? Texas

My husband and I bought our home 14 yrs. ago we have 1/2 acre property with our home on it. We have 81.06 feet lake front along the back of our property. We had a previous bulkhead on the property and just recently Aug.04 had a new one installed with a pier. Approved by the City.
We have neighbors that bought the land ajoining ours last April 04 and their lake frontage should have been 319.0 Their initial survey from April 04 matches ours from when we purchased our home. They installed a pier and bulkhead prior to us and ended it at our iron rods which seperated our property. After back filling in their property approx 60 feet and extending their property out they now do not have this much water footage and had a new survery done in Nov. 04 and are now trying to claim 17 feet of my property claiming that the original surverys were wrong and that my other neighbor actually has his fence and pier on part of my land. In otherwards the property line where once was straight is now going sideways he claims. My surveyor stated that he stands by his survery. Initially they installed a fence as well but partially dismantled it since to move onto our property.
We installed our own fence since then, however they are trying to hire someone to take it down. The law has been notified several times and he has been informed he can not remove our fence however he still persists. We have hired an attorney and he claims that the surverys are not an issue at this point since we have sturctures on our property and maintained our property for over ten years.
I know as soon as I am not home he will attempt to have it removed. The police stated until he actually does it they really can not do anything other than inform him this will be a criminal act. He is wanting us to take him to court rather than he take us. We only want to keep our land not take his whereas he is trying to take ours therefore we feel he should be the one to file but he has informed someone that he tried to hire to remove our fence which refused and came to us that he does not want to hire an attorney. We have informed him of our attorney but he refuses to go through him just keeps harrassing us.
Is this true regarding adverse possession if the property lines were now shifted that we do own our property that we are in posession of? We have three sturctures ( home A/C unit, storage shed and cement patio) on this property as well as our bulkhead. According to the City he can not claim my bulkhead as I am the one that it was approved for and paid for it so what would be the point of trying to fence it off. Our attorney does not want us to get another survey at this time he stated that it would just confuse the issue more since his two surverys do not match. Our water frontage makes a great deal of the value of our home. And if in fact the property line is now sideways Which I still do not believe does everyone have to shift their property to accommodate this one person. Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">