• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

quitclaim deed, hoa dues, worthless lot questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

helplme

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Georgia

I purchased an undeveloped lot in a neighborhood with a HOA. The lot was purchased for a small fee. The owner I purchased from bought it from the county tax assessors office due to the original owner not paying the tax bill.

The person I purchased from registered a quitclaim deed with the county, assigning the property to me.

The HOA has changed some of the rules that make my property impossible to sell. This includes some of the following:
1. Very high HOA dues.
2. Transfer fee - if I sell the property, a transfer fee is due to the HOA that is more than the cost of what I originally paid for the property.
3. You no longer have to own property in this development to purchase a membership to use the facilities that are offered to owners/members.

I am wondering if I am legally obligated to keep paying the HOA dues on this property since I never really had clear title to it? Is there any way to legally dispose of this property so that I am no longer responsible for the HOA dues?

Thanks for any advice.

Greg 2

QUOTE<I never really had clear title to it>UNQUOTE
If you didn't, then who did?
A1 You own it, and you are obligated to pay the dues.
A2 Sell it. Talk to the ajoining neighbors to begin with. Would the 'origional' owner-the one who lost it to taxes, be interested in buying it back?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">