• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HOA wants me to remove flower planters

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CHASE32940

What is the name of your state? Florida

My HOA (their new agent) wants me to remove flower planters from my driveway, saying it is a violation of the "Maintenence of Exterior of Owners Property" clause of my deed restrictions. I have had flower planters on my driveway since 1998 and have heard nothing but compliments and otherwise encourgaging words, either directly or indirectly, from all of my neighbors I've spoken to. I'd hate to terminate this established tradition because someone thinks flowers somehow diminish the value of mine and my neighbor's property values. What recourse do I have it they continue to insist on the removal?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

CHASE32940 said:
What is the name of your state? Florida

My HOA (their new agent) wants me to remove flower planters from my driveway, saying it is a violation of the "Maintenence of Exterior of Owners Property" clause of my deed restrictions. I have had flower planters on my driveway since 1998 and have heard nothing but compliments and otherwise encourgaging words, either directly or indirectly, from all of my neighbors I've spoken to. I'd hate to terminate this established tradition because someone thinks flowers somehow diminish the value of mine and my neighbor's property values. What recourse do I have it they continue to insist on the removal?

My response:

Yours is not a legal question. However, you have no recourse if your "Maintenence of Exterior of Owners Property" clause of your deed restrictions is being violated. Either comply, or determine what their recourse against you if you fail to comply. To do that, you need to read your HOA Rules and Restrictions.

IAAL

CHASE32940

Is there a violation?

My deed restrictions read "In the event an Owner of any Undeveloped Lot, Home in the Project shall fail to maintain the exterior of his Home in a manner satisfactory to the Association, the Association, after approval by two-thirds (2/3) vote of the Board of Directors, shall have the right, through its agents and employees ...". I have done this same thing since spring of 1998. Doesn't this establish a precedent and make the new ruling now calling it a violation somewhat subjective?

CHASE32940

To the best of my knowledge - no - there has not been a vote by the Board of Directors. I believe it is strictly a request made by the (new) "agent" hired by the HOA to enforce covenants, provided financial administration, etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">